Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Tuesday 16 May 2023

They all count

I was a little more adventurous this morning, deciding to revisit the sewage farm yet avoiding the silly detour of yesterday. I suppose I was really hoping that the Roller might still be present? It wasn’t and I made my way to the SF without many distractions. The first pool was to provide the only addition to my trip list when I discovered a Coot swimming along the far reedy margin. They all count under these circumstances and my total now stands at fifty six species for the holiday.

The next pool really delivered the goods as I flushed a Squacco Heron from right beneath me as I was getting some photos of the Balkan Terrapins which are very abundant at the site. The bird flew across the pool and settled in the reeds just thirty metres away. I did my best to get some in habitat shots. After checking the rest of the area I headed off up towards a Bee eater nest site. En route I managed to grab a few shots of a male Cirl Bunting before reaching my goal. There were good numbers of birds present and I obtained a few images which should be okay for the trip report?

I then set off back towards Pefkohori, via the woodland pathway which meanders along a heavily vegetated valley. A male Red backed Shrike was determined to have it’s photo taken as it posed on a reed stem. Turtle Dove numbers are vey buoyant out here and I heard eleven males purring away along this single track. A Wood White butterfly might just prove to be Eastern, but I won’t be sure until I’m able to get a proper look at the antenna detail on my laptop. Another very enjoyable outing although it pissed down shortly after my return. How’s your luck?


No comments:

Post a Comment