Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Saturday 6 May 2023

Round up

 I'll get this started with a quick review of my first, 2023, Eel session. I blanked but, it wasn't time wasted as, there were several occurrences which provide learning opportunities as the project moves forward. A couple of stand out lessons were the requirement of isotopes within my bobbins and a complete rethink of my rig mechanics due to reeling in my left-hand rod, at the end of the session, to discover there was no bait on the hook. I'd dismissed the savage bobbin movement as a "liner" from the venue's numerous small Carp. I've spent some time re-reading the John Sidley chapter, Big Eel Mania, in The Big Fish Scene (Published by Ernest Benn 1979 ISBN 0 510-21006-6) where he describes very similar events at Earlswood Lakes, in the midlands, which he was able eradicate with a program of pre-baiting. Food for thought indeed and, before I left, all the bait I'd taken for the session was deposited in the swim ready for my return on Sunday, all being well? It would be absolutely pointless trying to draw any conclusions from what has happened, thus far, yet remain confident of a decent outcome if I stick to my task.

Away from angling, the garden continues to provide the bulk of my natural history fix. The moth trap is slowly starting to produce a few interesting results with a couple of Diamond Backs, yesterday, and a Silver Y and Pearly Underwing today. Odd Swallows have been spotted as they whiz over the gardens along Vine Close, whilst the undoubted birding highlight was provided by a pair of Greenfinches which dropped onto the feeding station on Wednesday afternoon. 

Birds and birding still play a massive role in my daily routine. That I am now completely removed from any formal involvement just makes it that much more enjoyable. What I do, and don't, see matters not a jot to anyone else, thus, exactly how I want it to be. Please don't think that I've an axe to grind with those who also enjoy their birding, but with a completely different outlook to getting involved. It really must be a case of each to their own. From my current position I do find myself smiling when scanning the various local birding web sites. Tales of Eleonora's Falcons, Hoopoes, Bee-eaters, and the like, just serve to ensure my own year listing efforts take on a very satisfying role. I no longer feel the need to go scampering off seeking a lonely waif or stray, I'm confident that I'll see them in good numbers, in all their splendour, because of my choice of holiday destinations. Birds have no concept of where they are, so why should it play a part in my own enjoyment? My game, my rules - or complete lack of them!




We head off to NE Greece, early next week, whilst Bev's God-daughter, partner and newly born  (another Harry!) are house sitting, thus getting a seaside break away from their home in Sheffield.  I'm totally happy to include those birds I encounter, on my self-found list, because it doesn't matter to anyone else.


No comments:

Post a Comment