Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Monday 22 May 2023

Pefkohori May 2023

This holiday was Bev and mine's fifth visit to this Greek town. Our first was back in 2008 and every time we've visited has been during the month of May. This latest holiday was booked via Jet2 and was under £1k for the eleven days of our stay. Even with airport parking and fuel, the price remained around £1,200, so relatively cheap in the current financial climate?

We flew from Stanstead on a Jet2 Boeing 737 - 800

Our accommodation, at The Anna Maria complex, was perfectly fine and the venue's owners, Thomas & Maria, and their staff can't do enough to ensure your time there is a pleasant experience. Fortunately, Bev and I have a very simple formula for all our holiday destinations. Bev requires a pool, sunbed and a good book (or books), whilst I need somewhere to wander, away from the hustle and bustle, so as to sample the local wildlife. Pefkohori ticks all these boxes, and some, thus we're very happy to visit. Not too sure it would work for those who seek a little more excitement and energy in their breaks? We stayed on a Bed & Breakfast basis, but there are other options available. The food is fine, although not particularly varied from day to day. It's not The Hilton, you haven't paid Hilton prices, so why expect anything else?


Absolutely no way am I going to do a day by day report because those details have already appeared on the blog, as they happened. Instead, this post will detail the various habitats I visited during the period and, hopefully, provide an insight into what I encountered whilst on my wanderings. 

It's possible to watch these birds whilst laying on a sun-bed around the pool!

Pefkohori Marina

This site is approximately four miles, or so, away from the Anna Maria and takes just over an hour to walk to. Because of it''s coastal location, the walk is fairly straightforward without any significant gradient changes. Once through the main built-up area, the countryside is a mix of coniferous woodland, thick scrub and salt-marsh. The marina, itself, is where the local fishing boats are moored, plus some rather posh private vessels. It's provided some superb birding over the years I've been visiting and 2023 didn't disappoint with both the number, and variety, of species I was to encounter whilst in the vicinity.

Dark Spreadwing (Lestes macrostigma)



Pefkohori Sewage Farm

There can't be too many folk who go on holiday hoping to visit such an un-glamourous venue? Back in 2008 it used to host, both, Great Reed and Marsh Warblers but not now due to some very sad developments (which I will cover later in the post). All that said, the SF still provides habitat which is well worth visiting. This particular trip was to see me encounter a first for Greece and a "lifer" - what's not to like? My route there was as flat, or steep, as I chose (or messed up?). From the Anna Maria it is possible to walk through the town and take a track behind the Anna Hotel whilst remaining on the coastal plain. However, the most direct route is rather more arduous, via some very steep gradients.


Crap photo but, a lifer and self-found. Does it get any better?

Balkan Terrapins - common as muck 

The trails and tracks through woodland, scrub, olive groves and agricultural areas

It was these varied environments which provided the majority of my holiday birding/wildlife encounters. Any walk inland from the coastal plain involves some very arduous gradient challenges. No chance of going "off piste" due to the incredible density of the vegetation, so it's the tracks and trails used by the local farmers, shepherds and homeowners which provide access into this mosaic of habitats. My fitness was questioned, from day one, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I was found wanting early in the holiday. Being able to wander around in such superb surroundings ensured that my limits were pushed and I actually upped my game as a direct result. 

Glanville Fritillary - another "lifer" for me!

It was a fantastic holiday, in a superb location but, not wishing to "piss on the picnic" there is a very sad downside to this wondrous countryside. Fly-tipping! It's on an industrial scale and the further away from the tourist centres the more prevalent it becomes!


You won't see any mention of this in a holiday brochure.

I don't want this post to end on a downer so I'll finish with a photo which fulfilled all my wishes. A Little Bittern perched in a thicket above a small pool besides the marina.


We had a superb break. This area of Halkidiki, in NE Greece, offers some superb opportunities to enjoy wildlife encounters without any hype or preconceptions. It certainly works for me. If you have any questions, or queries, please feel free to post a comment and I will do my best to provide an answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment