Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Sunday 7 May 2023

Some moths at last

May has finally started to deliver warmer overnight temperatures and with it has come a very noticeable increase in moths attracted to the garden MV trap. Still a long way short of the catch numbers that we'll experience later in the year, last night's total of thirty-seven individuals, eleven species, is the best haul of 2023, thus far. Common Quaker and Early Grey continue to make up the bulk of the catch but Least Black Arches (2), Swallow Prominent, Large Yellow Underwing, Bloxworth Snout, Sulphur Tubic (2) and Triple-barred Argent were all new for the year with another two Silver Y's providing evidence of some migrant activity. 

The "Adidas Moth" - Triple-barred Argent

Not what I expect to see in May - Large Yellow Underwing

Sulphur Tubic

Swallow Prominent

Least Black Arches

My macro photography skills remain very basic, but still I am able to capture the odd record shots required to support my blogging efforts if nothing else? Back out Eel fishing this evening so, fingers crossed, there will be another blog entry before Bev and I fly off to Greece where I'm hoping for eleven days of full on birding, oh and a few Mythos!

No comments:

Post a Comment