Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Sunday 14 May 2023

The fun continues

It’s not been a very nice day, weather wise, yet I still managed to get out for wander along the coastal strip back to the marina. It was drizzling as I set off but, during my time away from the Anna Maria complex, it got increasingly sunny before the clouds returned. There was a very large scale, northerly, movement of Bee eaters passing noisily overhead and, although I didn’t keep any accurate count, know it would have involved many hundreds of individuals.

Three more additions to the trip list got started with a nice Levant Sparrowhawk which I spotted circling overhead being mobbed by a Hooded Crow and a couple of Swallows. The marina area is certainly somewhere that it is well worth exploring. Tawny Pipit and Little Egret were my other two additions, yet I was also able to enjoy prolonged views of Squacco Heron, perched in a conifer, plus Purple Heron and Little Bittern. A Crested Lark posed nicely for the camera and I spent quite a while getting flight shots of a couple of Yellow legged Gulls. If nothing else they will provide some useful reference material should I need it?

Tomorrow will be the halfway point of our holiday and I’m hopeful that my efforts will continue to turn up more of the avian gems that the Pefkohori countryside harbours. If the weather improves I would think that Short toed Eagle is a realistic expectation, but won’t moan if Lesser Grey or Masked Shrike crosses my path instead. Because there’s no one else out here birding I will never know what I’ve missed thus, can enjoy what I discover without any pressure. Just how I like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment