Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Wednesday 3 May 2023

Carp Puddle fun & frolics

 Absolutely no intention of going fishing on Tuesday until a crazy turn of events produced a short, but very viable, window of opportunity. After collecting Harry from school, he stayed with us because there was no-one at home until after 17.00 hrs. Although there had been a moderate easterly breeze, for the entire day, with the sun shining brightly it felt very pleasant out of the wind. My quickly concocted plan was to get Harry back home by 17.30 hrs then continue my journey down to the club fishery where I would have an hour, or so, before packing up and heading for home prior to the Arsenal vs Chelsea game. It worked like a charm and with the venue to myself I was able to have the choice of swims. Eight Carp in seventy minutes was my reward and included a further two doubles. 

At 13 lbs 4 oz, this gnarly looking Mirror was the best of the bunch

I didn't learn a single thing, just enjoyed myself using a 1959 Mk IV, Dick Walker split cane rod, Allcock's Match Aerial centrepin, 5 lbs b.s. line and a size 8 Korda "Widegape". Bait was my standard wholemeal bread with my freebies being a mix of "Happy Shopper" (now rebranded as Jack's?) and Tesco dog and cat biscuits. It doesn't get any simpler, or cheaper?

These fish seem to have ridiculously large tails which they use to good effect when hooked

The garden moth trap continues to disappoint but with a definite improvement in overnight temperatures I'm hopeful that the local moths will become more active and I can also make time to cast a baited hook in the direction of an Eel, or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment