Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Wednesday 24 May 2023

Sunshine scamping

 I'd driven down to the local club fishery yesterday, around mid-morning, to find the place absolutely rammed full. I didn't bother setting up a rod and after a quick lap jumped back in the van and returned home. A lesson learned and a mistake I won't be making again? "They won't beat me down there tomorrow" is what I told Bev when questioned why I was back so early. And so it was just after 06.00 hrs, this morning, that I loaded the van and returned to the "Carp Puddle" for another scamping session. On arrival, it was clear that only one other angler was on site and I was quickly able to get my kit into a swim which would allow me to present my floating baits at very close range. My tackle today consisted of a 1960's B. James & Son Dick Walker Mk IV Avon split cane rod, my Allcock's Match Aerial centrepin, 5 lbs b.s. line and a size 8 Nash Claw hook (I've run out of Korda "widegapes"). Freebies were the usual mix of very cheap Tesco dog and kitten biscuits with my hook bait being my, tried and tested, favoured wholemeal bread. It was like taking candy from a baby, and I would guess that somewhere around twenty Carp fell to my simple presentation during the three plus hours I was on site. Only one double today, but a really nice, chunky, fat, little Mirror of 14 lbs 9 oz.


It was a very pleasant session and one made even better by the chance meeting with a fellow club member, by the name of Rob. We spent quite a while exchanging views and found we had so much in common, especially pertaining to the enjoyment of being outdoors and a complete lack of desire to join the "Carpy Clique" which so dominates the C&DAA membership ranks.

No comments:

Post a Comment