Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Thursday 4 May 2023

The start of a new adventure

 At around 19.00 hrs, this evening, I'm heading off to undertake the first Eel session of 2023. A completely untried venue, with no history of eel captures, but one that isn't too far away from the Heronsview syndicate fishery, which has done fish to 6 lbs plus. My plan is to fish short sessions, just a couple of hours after sunset, thus meaning I'll be packing up around 23.00 hrs I guess. 

Short hook-links and small dead baits will be my opening gambit, purely because the fishery is absolutely crammed full of "silvers" and there are no Pike present. I've watched the Steve Pitts ESP offering, on Youtube, and fully embrace his stance on Eel conservation and the need for rigs which reduce the possibility of deep hooked fish. Certainly not likely to spend 130 nights, as he states, for just three Eels but, then again, I ain't obsessed with these slimy critters, just want to spent some time in their pursuit in the hope of landing a specimen in excess of four pounds. Too much to ask? Only by trying will I ever find the answer. What I would like, as an aside, is a decent photo of me actually holding an Eel for the camera as opposed to wrestling the bloody things. The intervalometer gizmo should certainly be of great help in this particular aspect of the project.

I'm hoping to improve upon this pitiful type of self-take result.

2 comments:

  1. Dyl, if you want to calm down an Eel long enough for a picture, then force it onto it's back. After a few seconds it becomes unconscious. However, leave it like that and it could die. Not sure how long that takes but by that time all pictures should be in the bag. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ric, I've heard all sorts of tales which relate to calming down Eels, tipping them on their backs seems to be quite a widespread view amongst the anglers who actually fish for them seriously. My past issues have revolved around the fact that I had to manually press the shutter release for each photo, hence having to put the Eel down and then attempt to pick it back up before the ten second timer delay had elapsed. With my new piece of techno wizardry I'm more hopeful of being able to present the capture because I will be able to concentrate on how I'm actually holding it, not worry about the camera kit. Cheers for the comment - all the best - Dyl

      Delete