Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Saturday 4 April 2020

#BWKm0 - a glorious morning

It was just after 06.00 hrs that I was stood in the back garden, the first coffee of the day resting on the table, whilst bins, scope and camera were being readied. Bev was incredulous as I got out of bed "What are you doing? It's bloody six o'clock!" Well, because leaving home wasn't an option, as the latest Government briefing had announced, then the laid back challenge had to be the only other option? It was a chilly dawn but getting up early was not to be a wasted effort. As the day drew on, so the temperatures rose and wall to wall sunshine enveloped Thanet - happy days! I managed to add another six species to the list, although the White-tailed Eagle wasn't one of them. Maybe tomorrow; as David Bowie once said. I'll list the additions in the order they appeared.

36 - Redwing - 8 (5 & 3) west early doors
37 - Greenfinch - a single bird calling from an adjacent garden constitutes my first Dumpton record of 2020. What a sorry state of affairs for a once common garden visitor.
38 - Skylark - one singing, briefly, over the winter wheat beyond our garden hedge
39 - Wheatear - a female flew south along the gardens. Fabulous binocular views, yet no time for the camera.
40 - Mistle Thrush - a singing male has probably been present since the start of this project yet wind strength and direction have meant I'd not been able to hear it until today?
41 - Great Black-backed Gull - four north (3 ads & 1 2nd c/y)


It proved to be a very good to be alive sort of day as various species put in an appearance around the garden and surrounding area. I pointed the camera at a variety of subjects with varying degrees of success, but it was the Common Buzzards that stole the show. Five over the garden in little more than forty minutes mid morning - brilliant!








No comments:

Post a Comment