Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Saturday 11 April 2020

#BWKm0 - Day twenty three

Over three weeks have elapsed since Steve got this challenge started, where does time go? Another very pleasant session outside today, the weather glorious and birds numerous, if not too varied. One nice spin off, for me, is that the "stay at home" instruction has meant that I'm getting more photos than I would have had fishing been still part of my leisure time. That target of fifty species in a year looks far more achievable, as a consequence of this lockdown, I'm already on thirty-six!


I got off to a decent start, this morning, when a male Green Woodpecker flew over the garden and pitched down in that tree, a few gardens to the north. I got my photos and was checking the results on the back of the camera when the unmistakable cascading song of a Willow Warbler sounded out from the other mature tree, a couple of gardens to the south. I quickly spotted the singer, foraging in the dappled light up in the canopy of the tree and rattled off some images more in hope than anything else. Spring Willow Warblers aren't annual here. I shouldn't have worried, the bird ended up in the Budlehia above the aviary, occasionally breaking into song, before it was off, high, to the north!

Shame my camera work isn't capable of inducing the
same effect as hearing that wonderful song
Other birds seen today included four Common Buzzards, including that white individual seen yesterday, a Kestrel, singing male Blackcap and, most weirdly, two Black-headed Gulls, high south! I'm now starting to wonder if that wasn't the source of my mystery noc-mig call the other night?
49 - Willow Warbler

No comments:

Post a Comment