Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Tuesday 1 October 2024

Day thirteen - extension tubes to the rescue

This holiday has provided some outstanding opportunities to enjoy the wildlife of this wonderful island yet, every day has been very different and the challenges have been testing to say the least. I suppose that I'd come out here with birding expected to provide my main focus but, armed with the recently acquired camera kit, I thought that there would be chances to explore other aspects of the fauna which inhabit the landscape around the Agios Gordios resort. Today was to provide exactly the conditions to prove that I'd made the correct decision to include the macro kit in my luggage. Birding, today, was testing and my meagre returns are hardly worthy of mention, with the exception of two Honey Buzzards which might just be the final sightings of 2024? I didn't start my walk up to the high ground above Kato Garouna, until after 10.20 hrs; so didn't reach my destination until an hour, or so, later. It was very apparent that birds were in short supply, so I decided to fit the 36 mm extension tube to the 100 - 400 mm IS USM Canon lens and see what inverts would perform for me? So I apologise again for this photo heavy offering, but it's the best I can offer.

Olive Sipper - possibly?

I'm not totally convinced that this is just a "Swallowtail" (Corsican possibly?)

Meadow Brown - pretty safe territory I think!

Eastern Willow Spreadwing - a species I've seen in Turkey previously.

Every since being made aware of the Gecko's which are present around the outdoor lighting of our apartment block, I have been keeping an eye open for the odd moth which is also attracted. I'd brought four glass collecting tubes with me and have used them to reasonable effect. Last night I potted a pyralid sp. which I have absolutely no idea of the id? It could well be as common as muck and I have made a major error. With no reference material, to hand, I will have to wait until I get back to Dumpton before having half a chance at sorting the id out. (Unless someone wants to offer assistance via a comment?)

I had to get this image whilst the moth was still retained within the glass tube.
I haven't got a "Scooby Doo" as to it's id.

No comments:

Post a Comment