Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Saturday 5 October 2024

Day seventeen - not entirely to plan

Yesterday evening saw a storm, of truly Biblical proportions, batter Agios Gordios for several hours. The thunder and lightning provided a magnificent display, and soundtrack, yet it was the torrential rainfall which stole the show. I've seen nothing like it since a holiday on the Florida Keys, way back in 1993! We awoke to a much nicer scene, although the sky was not cloudless, the sun was certainly winning the battle and Bev could enjoy a day besides the pool whilst I went off wandering. Whilst we were sat out on our balcony, enjoying the first coffee of the day, I grabbed a few shots of a Grey Wagtail which perched on the roof of the apartment block across the road.

I used the 1.4X converter with the 100 - 400 mm len for this shot

As it turned out, this was the only time I pointed the camera kit in the direction of a bird and the rest of my day was spent discovering just how good the kit performs at "macro" level. Butterflies were always likely to provide the bulk of the subjects for me, yet I was very happy to discover a spider and a Scorpion Fly which were also right posers!

I don't imagine that this is a particularly unusual species?
All I do know is that I've never bothered looking at one previously.

Scorpion Fly

Mallow Skipper

Clouded Yellow - they haven't been at all numerous out here on this trip

There had obviously been another large scale arrival of Blackcaps in the area, but other birds were conspicuous by their absence. Not a single raptor was seen whilst I was up on the high ground and it was down to Sardinian Warblers, Robins, Blackbirds, Jays and Blue Tits to provide the backing track for this foray.

A female Tiger Blue sp. is my best guess at present.

No comments:

Post a Comment