Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Wednesday 2 October 2024

Day fourteen - learning from my mistakes

 The birding out here, on Corfu, is the most challenging I've ever experienced. The harsh contrast between sunny area and shade produces optical challenges that are not encountered in any Kent scenario. The fact that the vast majority of passerines are flighty, and extremely adverse to sitting out in the sunshine, means that the overwhelming number of birds are impossible to id? Added to this is the fact that the vast majority of those, which have crossed my path, are also silent! However, if this were not the case, I'd not be able to push the boundaries of my experiences. Today has seen a massive arrival of Blackcaps into the local area with an obvious increase in the numbers of Chiffchaffs also being noted. I took the easy option of a stroll up onto the Pentati road, this morning, and was constantly frustrated by my inability to id the birds which were flitting about in the dappled light of the canopy within the Olive groves. The only time I pointed the long lens in the direction of a bird was when I spotted a Sparrowhawk spiralling over the adjacent hillside


.For the rest of my time I thought it would better using the extension tube option and concentrating upon getting images of the numerous insects which call this place home. Being a complete "dullard", however, I made the decision to combine the 36 mm unit with another 12 mm version. Absolutely no issues with the camera/lens performance, just an insane reduction in depth of field as a result of my choice. Still, we live and learn, plus nothing particularly noteworthy was missed because of the experiment.  

Sage Skipper


Two Bee sp. of which I have not one iota of an idea as to their id!
I am simply happy to look, and be amazed, rather than seek an additional tick on a spreadsheet!

We've still got another week before this adventure draws to a close, so am hopeful that my camera skills will advance as I continue to push the boundaries of my, very limited, skill base?

No comments:

Post a Comment