Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Saturday 19 October 2024

Dad - "this is how you do it"

 A grotty, grey, morning wasn't particularly conducive for watching the birds visiting the feeding station and the moth trap hadn't produced anything of note. A few Chiffchaffs were flitting around the hedgerow which marks the garden boundaries of the Vine Close bungalows and it was around mid-day when the male Great Spotted Woodpecker appeared again. I grabbed the camera, just because it might have been the only opportunity of the day?


It was whilst I was listening to the Radio 5 commentary of Spurs vs West Ham when Benno rang to ask what I was doing? He was out on the flatlands and had just landed a Perch of 3 lbs 14 oz (thus a PB) and could I get across to grab some photos? It must have taken a nano-second to offer a positive response and, after checking with Bev, I was on my way within a couple of minutes. It is the biggest Perch I've ever set eyes upon and absolutely magnificent. Under no circumstances will I name the venue, or the tactics involved, as that is for Benno to tell.

It's gonna be quite a hectic couple of days ahead, as we attend the wedding of Darryl & Alix. Obviously no birds, moths or angling likely to be involved, we're looking forward to a great family gathering to celebrate this monumental occassion.




2 comments:

  1. Perch and woodpeckers- Surely no finer things for a bloke in the autumn!

    That's a huge spiky, mate- Congratulations to Benno. I'm still on the bass... Just... It's been an awful season. Painful. All the more so down to how special 2023 was.

    I've got a real yearning for dab and whiting, right now. I'm going to be doing as much of that as piking/perching this coming cold season. See you soon for a beer hopefully, mate? Gazza



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gazza,
      It has been a very strange year for Bev & I so these little things are certainly able to take on a much bigger role than under normal circumstances. Benno's Perch was a magnificent fish to set eyes upon and a memory which will stay with him for a very long time.
      Good luck with your own angling projects, I'm now fully committed to a winter of targeting two Pike! I want a twenty-five plus from the RMC and a twenty out of The Stour. Not too much to ask?
      I'll email you to arrange a hook up for that beer!
      Take care and tight lines - Dyl

      Delete