Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Monday 29 March 2021

Ground Hog day

 Young Mr Gashby is the digital packing area supervisor, for want of a better job description, This, by definition, means that he's also my superior - Oh how he wishes? Fortunately, he's also a fellow angler and a mate. I use the term angler in the loosest of meanings - he's a carp fisherman and there's a big difference between our approach to this mutually shared hobby. However, he ain't a bad lad and, living up in the Medway area, has access to a vast array of second hand kit via the wonders of "FLEABAY". Over the past few years Gary has obtained, on my behalf, a pair of Wychwood "Big Pit" reels, the Carp Porter barrow and, now, a Nash Ground Hog brolly system has come into my possession. 



The Ground Hog brolly is a piece of kit that has been on my wish list for quite a while. The basic stabilized oval brolly system is all I required, but have been supplied the full-fronted ensemble, complete with groundsheet. It's a, short session, bivvy in this guise. So why do I need such equipment? I have a maximum of seventeen working days until I walk away and, with this in mind, have just renewed my local syndicate subscription to ensure that I have a venue where I can take the grand-kids over the summer. Obviously there are also the superb facilities and that realistic chance of a "thirty" which can't be ignored. I have no intention of becoming a "time bandit" but will, without doubt, have the ability to allow the prevailing conditions (rather than holiday entitlement and shift patterns) to dictate my need to be on the bank. That Ground Hog brolly will give me all protection, from the elements, that I require whilst sat on the exposed banks of the syndicate venues, What I can't deny is the fact that my £5 CK Stakeout Mk II brolly has given stout service since 2013 but is now well beyond its' serviceable use. A wing and a prayer is at best, knackered closer to the reality. If the Ground Hog is capable of providing eight years service then I'll be well into my seventies and very much doubt the continued desire to endure conditions which warrant the use of such items?



The last pieces are falling into place; retirement is, now, just weeks away. There are a few more bits of kit that I would like to have in my armoury before that fateful day. A baiting pole system being top of the list, but there are other bibs and bobs I'd like and am doing my best to ensure everything is in place for the start of this next chapter in my angling adventure.

3 comments:

  1. Dyl, many years ago I put a new bivvy up in my parents garden for a look-see. I went back into the house, and a short while later my mother called me to look out of her kitchen window on account of a number of small children that were now playing in it. They were of an age where property boundaries meant nothing if a gap in a fence was big enough, and a suitable incentive was in place.
    If it proved one thing, it was that kids were happy to go night fishing if there was a bivvy involved. My own lad thought it great. He didn't seem too bothered about the fish though. Shame that. But there you go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr Wrathall always willing to help a fellow angler even one as eccentric as yourself, hoping one day to share the bank with your good self once times are a little less testing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sir, it would be an honour and, indeed, a privilege to spend time upon the bank in such company as your good self. The Cinque Ports AA waters perhaps? See you in the morning you twat! Your ever humble servant - Mr Wrathall

      Delete