Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Saturday 6 April 2013

It seemed rude not to!

I spent the morning birding- well; what I really mean is that I spent the mid-morning, not so much birding as in the search for a wheatear! How sad is that? Even sadder when you learn that I failed - my walk between North Foreland and Fayreness producing a single Rock Pipit; that's it. Not a Chiffchaff or Black Redstart to be seen, even the local Fulmars were conspicuous by their absence. The only sighting, of any note, was of an oiled Great Black-backed Gull that was flying around by Joss Bay. The blasting NE wind meant that I didn't remain long, 15+ Red-throated Divers and many 1,000's of Black-headed Gulls moving up channel with a constant stream of Carrion Crows - coasting.
A 3rd year Great Black-back with oil stained plumage - why?
It was a visit to quickly forget. I decided to cut my losses and head inland to the delights of Stodmarsh NNR and a long staying Penduline Tit that I have ignored for far too long. This was a very short visit (filthy "twitching") - I was away within the hour, my photo in the bag! Lesser Redpoll, Chiffchaff - singing, Water Rail, displaying adult male Marsh Harrier, Great Spotted Woodpecker and so much more - (massed ranks of camera wielding non-birders). I stayed long enough to secure my token photo before heading off towards pastures new.


A superb little bird which played along with the requirements of the assembled masses.
 
Simon and Yve brought Dad back from Hemel, this afternoon, and we all met up in the "Frog & Orange" for a couple of "light ales" and a chat - Bev arriving a few minutes later after she'd finished her "Grand-parenting" duties. A cracking day with more to come tomorrow, hopefully?


No comments:

Post a Comment