Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Monday 1 July 2024

A step too far?

For over sixty-eight years and a half  I've been on this planet and I am now feeling the effects of this aging process. The physical effort needed to get me, and my tackle, out onto the marsh is pushing my arthritic limbs beyond anything I've previously experienced. So what I'd hoped to do, in relation to a Tench campaign, might not be quite as realistic as I'd previously hoped. I'm certainly not throwing in the towel, just yet, but recognise that there is a requirement for "common sense" to play a role. The one thing which is certain will be my inability to conduct three sessions a week - one might be pushing it?

I used my weed rake for over one and a half hours to clear this swim, yet the weed growth still
caused issues with rig presentation.

Away from my angling, the garden moth trap continues to provide interst whilst the local Hedgehogs are as entertaining as ever. There is a very clever (?) individual which is now happy to turn up at the feeding bowls before the light has faded. It doesn't matter what's on offer in the Hedgehog bowl, it's the scraps in the Fox bowl which seem to be favoured. Whatever Bev and I don't eat will be placed in the Fox bowl and, this week, has included southern fried chicken, pasta and cheesy chips, the Hedgehog being happy to sample everything on offer in preference to Baker's Meaty Meals and Tesco Kitten biscuits.


Despite the masses of Red Valerian around the bungalow, I've still not seen a Humming-bird Hawk-moth in 2024 and if we can't get out ro Greece probably might not given the weather patterns we're experiencing this year. The complete lack of migrant moth species, which are so obvious because of their abscence, is well outside anything I've experienced in previous years. That it is noteable to spot a Silver Y or Diamond Back says it all. It is still nice to be able to look at these wondrous group of insects and be amazed at the diversity that is there to be looked at each morning.

Red-barred Tortrix

Hawthorn Knot-horn

Cock's-head Belle

Broad-barred White

The medical situation that Bev and I are still negotiating our way through should have some further detail on Thursday, after a consultation meeting via a phone call, and may provide a light at the end of the tunnel?



6 comments:

  1. Hello mucka- There's a tench down there watching, waiting... It's only a matter of time!... Are you still going to take on the Gutter? On a more important note, all my very best to you and Bev, mate. Speak Soon- Gazza- PS, the bassing is awful right now! I'm starting to realise just how special last season was...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mate,
      It is the Gutter which is causing me all the problems. Both in, and out of, the water the vegetation is ridiculously luxuriant and, as such, makes the whole experience so much more of a challenge. The fact that using a barrow is totally out of the equation means that I have to carry all of my kit over a mile to reach this drain. As I stated in the post, my arthritic joints aren't up to this level of exertion on any sort of regular basis. I'm certainly not giving up but, will spend more time along Black Dyke than I had originally planned. Sorry to hear about the Bass fishing. I will email you soon to have a proper catch up.
      Take care & stay safe - Dyl

      Delete
    2. I remember when I first met you out on the Gutter- I took you to be in your mid-50s. In fact, you must have passed 60 by then. All this wilding keeps us in good nick, mate. But still, I didn't fish the Gutter last year and I won't attempt it this year, because of all the low-tide bassing. I just can't do the both. I'm having a go on a northern section, though. I've raked and baited since last Saturday. Funnily enough, all I'm seeing is tench! But I want carp this time around- perhaps we can scout for one another? I'll email shortly, mate- G

      Delete
  2. You're so lucky to have the hedgehogs as a daily event but I do wonder if some of the scraps that one is eating from the fox bowl might be possibly harmful to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Derek,
      Whilst it is certainly true that some of the items I place in the "Fox" bowl aren't particularly suited to Hedgehog dietary requirements, the fact that they are never a regular feature of the scraps provided should ensure that any individual eating them can't become reliant on a supply being available on a regular basis. The one item I have never used is dried mealworms, as I was warned of the harmful effects they have on Hedgehog digestive systems, plus I never place bread and/or milk out for the same reasons. There are now six garden feeding stations along Vine Close, so between them any animal moving around the gardens should manage to obtain a fairly well balanced diet.
      Great to hear from you. Hoping all is well at your end? - Dyl

      Delete
  3. That's good to hear then Dylan. Also good to hear of the combined actions of your neighbours.

    ReplyDelete