Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Thursday 18 July 2024

Garden gull spectating

 It was around 11.00 hrs,  today, that I noticed several groups of gulls swirling about at various points around West Dumpton. As there was no accompanying noise, it quickly became clear that these birds were feeding upon newly emerging flying ants. Over the following three hours, or so, the activity became more frenzied as the numbers of birds rapidly increased. Another feature was that they were feeding at a much higher altitude as the temperatures rose steadily during the post noon period. At one point I guestimated there to be in excess of five thousand individuals visible from our back garden. The vast majority of the birds that were identifiable were, quite obviously, Herring Gulls but, there were also good numbers of Black-headed and  Lesser Black-backed Gulls involved. Prolonged, and careful, scanning finally resulted in (two) adult Mediterranean Gull being added to the garden year list. There was also a very good candidate for a juv Yellow-legged Gull, yet I didn't clinch it 100%, so one that got away this time?



The majority of the Black-headed Gulls involved were feeding at a lower level than
their larger cousins.


An adult Lesser Black-backed Gull, probably from
the Pyson's Road colony?

Just an image attempting to convey the scene during the early afternoon frenzy

It was also rather interesting to see several Carrion Crows and the local male Kestrel exploiting this food source. As I was scanning the skies for such a prolonged period it was inevitable, I guess, that I spotted a few Common Swifts taking advantage of the situation. Really good fun and a garden year tick to boot! 

No comments:

Post a Comment