Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Wednesday 24 July 2024

More questions than answers

 In my previous offering I had mentioned I had another post, in prep, which I hoped would allow me to explain my personal viewpoint about the killing of specimens in order to obtain positive id. Although I had no desire to upset any group, or individual, I am afraid that had I posted my thoughts it might not have gone smoothly. I guess a diplomat is not something I'll ever aspire to be. "Say it as it is" being far more in tune with my factory floor background, hence that particular piece was trashed before it caused any ripples around the cyber network. I haven't changed my opinions and remain opposed to the use of any lethal id techniques for such trivia as garden/county/life moth (invertebrate) listing and because of this will not align myself with, or submit any of my records into, this system. 

To change tack entirely. It was almost a year ago when I pointed my long lense in the direction of a Bat sp. which was flying around the back garden at dusk. The result wasn't about to elevate me within any photographic echelons, but it was something I felt would be worth further effort if chances arose. Over the past three, or four, evenings there has been quite a noticeable increase in bat activity so I decided to have another bash. As with my recent foray into macro photography, the only way I'll learn anything is by giving it a bash and learning from the mistakes as they occur. My Magenta 5 Bat Detector suggests that the species involved is one of the Common Pipistrelle group, so not particularly large subjects to get onto the image finder. 


As you can see from the resultant images, there is certainly a number of positives to be gleaned yet, also much room for improvement and experimentation. I was using the long lense at 135mm f5.6, with a shutter speed of 1/320th sec in manual mode with auto ISO setting. I feel sure that this last option is why the images are so washed out and grainy. When I checked the file details for these images, the camera had defaulted to ISO 6400. Time for plan B (there could well be plans C,D,E & F if required?) If I am able to get out again this evening, I am going to set the ISO at 800, but keep all the other settings as before.

You know that things are on the up when Diamond-backs start appearing on the egg trays.

In the same vein, my macro efforts have certainly provided evidence that my techniques are headed in the right direction, although certainly nowhere close to a level of consistency I would like. The garden moth trapping has seen a real upturn in recent days with some very nice moths being attracted by the 125w MV bulb.so I am not struggling to find subjects on which to practice. By modern standards, the kit I use is very "old hat" yet more than capable of providing images which are suitable for use on this blog. What follow are a selection of images that I've taken recently with my EOS 70D, a 20 mm extension tube and 18 - 55 mm EFS image stabilized lens.

One of the Caloptilia "minefield" to quote Francis Solly

Fig Leaf Skeletonizer

A (Light?) Grey Tortrix 

To be fair, the only way is up and, by recognising my faults, it should be a very enjoyable adventure as I seek to push the boundaries of my photographic skill base. Finally, please don't think that I've given up fishing. Benno and I are back down the RMC on Friday and, following today's very positive meeting with Bev's cancer consultant, angling should once again return to my weekly routine, thus blogging, now that the grandchildren have ended school for the Summer period. The final image is of the best moth I've caught, thus far, in 2024. A Light Crimson Underwing was discovered on the egg trays this morning - result!


4 comments:

  1. Well I guess you still made your point about the use of lethal ID techniques but I would rather have seen the fuller account that you trashed, I used to enjoy your "say it as it is" posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Derek,
      Yes those were the days of "The Non-Conformist" and I did deliberately go out of my way to seek confrontation. How the passing of time has changed my outlook? There seems to be enough conflict in the world without me deliberately seeking to add to it. As you are only too aware, the aging process brings with it many aches & pains, but the experience also results in a mellowing of the soul and the realisation that it is better to pick your battles rather than fight on all fronts!
      Hoping all is well - Dylan

      Delete
  2. Dyl, on the face of it, you generally appear both diplomatic and self effacing in all of your posts. Hard to imagine them offending anyone. Surely time to amend the last line of your head-line profile?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ric, you're probably better placed, than most, to pass such judgements? As I've said to Derek, in my previous reply, there's more than enough ill feeling in the current global scene that I have no desire to add to it. As I get older there is the realisation that health, happiness and family are of much greater priority than creating friction between unknown individuals, within cyberspace, over such trivia as sticking pins in moths in order to tick a box on a spreadsheet. I don't like it, so won't support those who use such techniques, but Bev's health issues knock such topics into reality. Yes, it is true I don't think requiring specimens has a place in 2024. Important? Not in the slightest, although it probably highlights the lack of IQ of those involved! - Dyl

      Delete