Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Saturday 20 July 2024

Garden mothing

Benno and I had another evening/into dark session Eel fishing on the RMC. I couldn't catch a cold, Ben had a smart little male Tench for his efforts. That we were kept company by Mark, the Carp angler, ensured it was a very enjoyable experience and something which we hope to replicate soon.

On our drive home we spotted two Barn Owls perched on roadside telegraph poles close to West Hythe, but that was as exciting as it got! So it is clear that my angling efforts are woeful, at present, thus I am very glad that the Robinson 125w MV moth trap is performing its' magic in the back garden. I am always happy to be corrected if my id's are erroneous, yet this recent spell of warm weather has certainly added something to the excitement when examining the egg trays. A very tatty Pine Hawk-moth, this morning, is only the third garden record in twenty-five years, so most welcome none the less!  

It is, as always, the micro moths which provide the bulk of the challenges, thus require me to attempt to get record images in order to be in with a shout of a correct outcome. I have absolutely no issues with being corrected over an erroneous id. My ego is well capable of accepting the advice of other, far more gifted, observers with experience within this, or any other, sphere of natural history observation which is beyond my comfort zone. What I am really struggling with is the fact that moth recording is conducted under the banner of Butterfly Conservation?  Under no circumstances would a butterfly record be requiring a specimen. It is 2024, Queen Victoria has long passed away, yet the mind-set of the mainstream crowd remains entrenched in history. Could you imagine the outcry if someone failed to id a bird, so shot it in order to get the record accepted? Got it in one! 

Pale Red Slender (Caloptilia elongella)

Marbled Green

Jersey Tiger Moths - not one of them was inside the trap!

Fen Wainscot

Dusky Pearl (Udea prunalis)

Dark-streaked Button (Acleris umbrana)

Until the day dawns when modern technology is embraced by the moronic goons within the entomological ranks, not a single record will be submitted  by me. I am well aware that anything I post on this blog is free to be viewed, thus available for inclusion if warranted, by any group/individual who feel the need. All I know is that it is without my blessing or consent and under no circumstances do I want my initials beside the record entry. Another soap box to get down from - just enjoy looking without a need to fit in.

Wainscot Neb (Monochroa palustrellus)

Long-horn Beetle sp. - don't know, or care, what it's called.
It was enjoyable, none the less, to set eyes upon this insect

2 comments:

  1. I get you over the physical collection of dead/euthanised specimens simply for ID purposes Dyl. It simply doesn't wash today with the level of imagery available. As for the Victorians? Anyone who walks around Tring museum will note that the sheer number of the same large herbivore species would suggest that they loved their recording method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whilst I have absolutely no issues with specimens being taken to further the boundaries of scientific knowledge, it is the actions of individuals who's egos require them to tick boxes on Excel spreadsheets in order to compete with other similar goons which really causes me problems. The photographic records they obtain of the most miniscule detail suggests that they're are in possession of equipment which would be equally capable of obtaining images of features, on living specimens?
      In an time where our natural world is being subjected to ridiculous levels of habitat loss and climate problems, it seems very strange that certain groups, within the eco friendly, conservation umbrella are still happily promoting this aspect of recording technique instead of seeking other methodology?
      It's only my opinion and, I'm sure, there may well be very good counter arguments from certain quarters, yet I can't align myself with any group who are willing to use this type of approach for recording the creatures which make up our natural world. Those Victorian pioneers didn't have access to the insane level of technology that now exists, thus had no other options. In 2024, however, I genuinely believe that it is time to move away from this barbaric form of recording.

      Delete