Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Friday 12 July 2024

A few moths at last

 Thus far into 2024, garden mothing has been very a underwhelming experience. Obviously there have been a few exceptions, but generally my results have been very poor. It is not a situation unique to my own mothing as I am able to keep tabs, via blogland, on many other Kent (and further afield) "moffa's" who are undergoing the same struggles as me. This week, however, things certainly seem to be improving and I've had a double figure count of Silver Y's plus the first Langmaid's Yellow Underwing and Jersey Tiger of the year. Micro moth numbers also show signs of improvement as well as an increased diversity.

Rosy Knot-horn

Jersey Tiger Moth

I am certainly having a good time playing around with the macro kit and have come to the conclusion that I will learn more from my mistakes, as opposed to copying the techniques of others. One positive from this approach is that I am finding myself looking at invertebrates which I would ignore under normal circumstances.

Superb Ant-hill Hoverfly (Xanthogramma pedissequum)

Orange Ladybird (Halyzia sedecimguttata)

Benno and I are off down the RMC this evening for a spot of Eel fishing so, hopefully, I'll have some angling related content to share tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment