Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Wednesday 13 March 2024

My wish granted

 I was out on the flatlands, this morning, and had my two rods fishing just after 06.00 hrs. It was less than an hour later when the right hand alarm announced that a Pike had taken my bait. Not a particularly noteworthy scrap, but resulted in the "double" I had hoped for gracing the bank for a short while. At 16 lbs 15 oz it was a recapture of a fish which I'd caught in November, but that didn't reduce the pleasure of landing it today. 

A really nice looking Pike and yet another demonstration of the
benefits to be had from adding a polarizing filter to my camera kit.

Although I hung it out until after 10.30 hrs, that proved to be the only action of the morning. I'm not too sure where I'm headed tomorrow, for the final session of the Pike season, but know that even if I blank there can be no complaints about my 2023/24 catch returns.

6 comments:

  1. The polarizing filter has certainly brought out the best is this specimen. Look at the detail in the camouflage, the sharpness of eye and generally good condition.
    The Pike isn't in bad shape either.😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There can be no doubts that the purchase of this filter has added something to the images I've taken whilst using it. I do, however, think that the true measure of how good it is will be when I'm able to use it under bright sunshine and clear skies, something which hasn't happened thus far. The Pike in the East Kent drains are generally much better marked than those which inhabit the RMC purely because they live in gin clear water, for the majority of the time, whilst the canal always has a bit of colour and, as a consequence, those Pike appear quite pale by comparison. As always, cheers for taking time to comment - Dyl

      Delete
  2. Hi Dyl.... just browsing tinternet for a polarising 58mm filter for my Canon G12... lots of options available, with considerably different costs.

    Recommendations?



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andy,
      The filter I've purchased was from Amazon and is a K&F Concept Nano-K which cost around £30. Not got a clue as to how good it is, in relation to other filters available in the market, but it seems pretty good to me. Further advice is probably available on YouTube, but those guys are probably looking to record magazine quality images - not trophy shots?
      All the best - Dyl

      Delete
  3. Cheers Dyl.... Like you said, it's only for my fishing camera, so think I'll grab something midrange. (Why on earth didn't we do this sooner?)

    Best of luck with the Perch fishing.... Got myself a bumper harvest of Lobs this week!.... Alarm set for the sparrows fart tomorrow 🤞

    All the very best wishes to you and yours brother!

    Catch-ya on the flip-side

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries mate.
      I do hope the worms were collected on the local cricket pitch, illuminated by a head torch? A visit by the local constabulary always elevated the experience when I lived in Herts and fished on the Tring complex. Happy memories of happy days - indeed. As things stand, at present, I have no plans to get out with the rods again until April. Bev's operation takes place on Tuesday and I will need to be on hand for the foreseeable future.
      Good luck with your own efforts - tight lines & wet nets - Dyl

      Delete