Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Tuesday 12 March 2024

I should moan more often!

I'll start with the news that this morning's, pre-op, consultation meeting went very well and we came away reassured about the next stage in Bev's treatment. As we are not back for any more medical procedures before Monday 18th March, I will be able to get two more Pike sessions in before the season closes. With that out of the way, last night's PAC gathering was a very enjoyable event, with all the usual banter between the gang. I managed to exchange a few opinions about my own angling experiences and also give my view on the record status of that stupendous, 47 lbs 5 oz,  Pike which came out of Chew Valley in February. As my opinions have no impact upon those empowered to make such decisions, I won't bother mounting the soap box on this occassion. For me Tommy Morgan's fish, from Loch Lomond, still remains the one to beat.

So there I was, yesterday, moaning about how difficult my garden listing efforts had proven to be and what would you know? As I parked up on the drive, after returning from the PAC meeting, I was greeted by the sound of calling White-fronted Geese somewhere overhead in the darkness. A right result; not only a garden tick but also the first record for my Newlands Farm patch. Then, after getting back from our very expensive, post hospital, coffee morning (I wrote off a tyre on the way home which added another £58 to the bill) there was a male Blackcap on the fat-ball feeder. It made fairly regular visits, despite the constant rainfall, and I eventually managed to grab a few shots which are blog worthy.

Knowing that Pike fishing the RMC is a non-starter my options are rather restricted for these final two sessions. Black Dyke could see a further effort yet, I hanker after one more "double", the drain where my season got started seems to be edging the thought process at present. 

3 comments:

  1. Not sure I've ever seen a Blackcap other than one made by Drennan....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are rather nondescript, thus easily overlooked I guess? One thing is for sure, you will have definitely heard one singing during Spring and early Summer. Not quite Nightingale standard, yet very loud and pleasing on the ears nonetheless.

      Delete
    2. I will listen out for them.

      Delete