Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Saturday 10 September 2016

Time to move on - already!

I am just back home after my third session of the week - nearly twenty four rod hours and not a single bleep of the alarms! What am I doing wrong? As exciting a challenge as this new drain is, I wasn't expecting to have to compete with other anglers, and their crazy baiting strategies, whilst also attempting to outwit these fish. It's no big deal; as I've stated previously there are hundreds of miles of these drains spread across The Ash Levels and adjoining marshes - I'll go somewhere else. It really is that simple.
As I see it, there are a small number of wild carp in this particular section, some of which are undoubtedly very large. That others (and I don't know who) feel the need to fill in every open spot with bucketfuls of tiger-nuts and maples is beyond me. My two earlier sessions were evening affairs and I knew that I was fishing over uneaten bait, this morning, at 03.30 hrs, I got both my rigs in position as stealthily as I know how. A few chick peas around each hook and I'm on it. It was just gone 07.00 hrs when I reeled in, the most exciting event being a Kingfisher using a rod as a perch, sending the alarm crazy as it attempted to dispatch a stickleback by bashing it upon the sacred cane.
It was only when I had the benefit of daylight that I was able to see the extent of this over zealous baiting policy. My chosen spots looked like they had been pebble-dashed with maize, maples and/or tiger nuts, absolutely pointless carrying on. This type of carp angling is enough of a test when you're in control of the baiting program, it's now been reduced to the equivalent of trying to catch a cow, in a field, on a single blade of grass!


It is a shame, because it is such a nice venue, but when faced with such uneducated behaviour, there's absolutely no point in continued wasted effort. In the "old days" I might have viewed this very differently - almost like a declaration of war! A bivvy in a field and a car in a gateway would have been very easy targets - walking home would have been the enjoyable bit in comparison to what would have been a very costly experience for my tormentors.
Luckily for them, and one of the benefits of growing old, they're only fish and I've caught hundreds and have access to so many other venues where I can continue my split cane campaign for a "thirty" without this nonsensical competition. So whoever you are - carry on - just don't be too surprised if the venue gets leaked as two can play this game, know what I mean?

3 comments:

  1. Oh dear Dyl. "carp wars", I recall cod wars but not carp ones, while I know you haven't exposed where the venue is, perhaps people have sussed that by reading your blog and watching your movements, they can put two and two together. I remember us using your kind of retribution many years ago on Sheppey. Duck shooters had got in the habit of coming across the Swale in a small dingy with outboard, pulling it up on the seawall and going out into the farmland poaching ducks and so one night the farm management drove down there in the dark and up-lifted the dingy and outboard, leaving the poachers , in non-mobile phone days, with a long walk back to the mainland. The boat and outboard were later sold at a farmers market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Derek, as you already know, obsessive hobbies can lead to very "weird" behaviour - just look at the antics of grown men when they are on a "twitch". Carp angling has its' own breed of lunacy and is very much a victim of its' own hype in as much as the competitive side of big fish and secret locations go.
      If there are anglers out there who know where I'm fishing, they must have a very intimate knowledge of the East Kent drains - on the other hand, as the biggest fish I've caught from the system only weighs 23 lbs 10 oz, most of those who seek big carp wouldn't bother with such small fry and certainly wouldn't be prepared to carry their gear a mile and a half to get there.
      Any how, just getting packed up ready to drive to Gatwick - holiday mode started on Friday; just a shame it was tainted by the actions of a moron; but I'll survive! Hoping all is well on Sheppey? - Dyl

      Delete
  2. Dyl, yes Sheppey is very dry and desert like as we enter a third month of virtually no rain but it's OK. Was down your way on Thursday as my partner and I enjoyed a trip on the R H & D railway. Enjoy Kefalonia

    ReplyDelete