Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Tuesday 20 September 2016

Day nine

Out before 08.00 hrs, this morning, making the most of the cooler conditions following the overnight rain. I felt that this would result in a few grounded migrants if I made the effort to take a look. It was a strange experience walking through the olive groves which were almost devoid of any birdlife save a few Blackbirds, Chaffinches, Blue and Great Tits. I was struggling to understand how such, seemingly, perfect conditions hadn't resulted is some type of fall? I continued on my way, walking my favoured route, before ending up in an area of open rough scrub and scattered agricultural areas. Immediately I found three juvenile Red - backed Shrikes perched along a single field boundary and a trickle of Red - rumped Swallows passed overhead. All of a sudden there were Spotted Flycatchers perched out in the open where there'd been nothing previously. Sardinian Warblers rattled off their scolding "churr" from atop fence lines and spiky, gorse-like, bushes whilst Crested Larks engaged in energetic chases above the scrub.


A Common Buzzard "mewed" from behind me and I was confronted by a large raptor flying very low towards me. Bloody hell - Honey Buzzard! Over far too quickly, I did my best to rattle off a few shots, using whatever settings were on the camera! More Red - backed Shrikes, Cirl Buntings and pockets of mixed hirundines as I wandered back towards Saoulas, it is a good to be alive day.

2 comments:

  1. What a great photo! I, too, am a lover of nature, the sky and the earth.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda - many thanks for your generous comment. I, also, derive great pleasure from my encounters with the natural world but have recently had reason to question the point of my being and what role I play in the bigger picture - the sky is a big place! Dylan

      Delete