Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Wednesday 30 September 2015

Chiffchaff overload

Is it possible to have too much of a good thing? This morning our garden is absolutely alive with Chiffchaffs, at least a dozen, possibly as many as twenty individuals feeding in the buddleias and using the bird bath (five together at one stage). With the sun shining brightly and nothing better to do, I sat outside, coffee to one side, camera to the other, and enjoyed the show.
I realise that these birds have featured heavily in my most recent posts but, when they're gone, they're gone, so I might as well enjoy the moment. I've mentioned, many times, that our garden wouldn't win any prizes at The Chelsea Flower Show, yet it provides a nice demonstration of the drawing power of an urban garden if a little thought is employed when choosing the plants. I am also aware that Thanet is geographically well positioned to intercept more than its' fair share of east coast migrants - they still wouldn't visit my garden if there was nothing for them!
The feeding station is maintained all year round and yet I think that the main factor, for the majority of migrant warblers, is the availability of water. We have two bird baths in the garden and, as such, provide a rather scarce commodity during periods of dry weather. A few other odds and sods included my first Redwing, of the autumn, calling in the moonlit sky as I walked home yesterday night and a Song Thrush north this morning along with a few Mipits and Wood Pigeons.




Fill your boots time! - an absolute pleasure to spend time watching these smart little warblers.
These will be my last Chiffchaff images of 2015 unless I discover something a little more interesting - a tristis perhaps? Pike season starts tomorrow, although I have an eel quest to pursue before I cast a line in pursuit of Esox lucius.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the eels Dylan, unfortunately my eel season didn't really get off the ground, 1lb 10oz the best to my rods this year.

    ReplyDelete