Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Wednesday 24 June 2015

More moths from the garden

Work is impacting upon my ability to get out quite heavily at present, eleven hour shifts don't leave much time for other, more enjoyable, pastimes. I have no qualms about the situation; the pay is good and there's always the weekends. It is, therefore, of little surprise that the moth trap is central to the majority of my activities. I did hear a Greenshank, calling out in the gloom of the late evening sky, as I walked home yesterday (22.00 hrs) and there seem to be a few adult Black-headed Gulls about - four behind the plough on Monday, failed/post breeders?

The easily identified Tortrix - Lozotaenia forsterana
I've got quite a few micros which will require some time and effort if I'm to get an id, but plenty of other species have been added to the rapidly lengthening 2015 garden list. Frosted Orange was a nice surprise, on Sunday, with Mottled Pug, Least and Garden Carpet, Short-cloaked Moth, Riband Wave, Dark Sword-grass, Dark Arches, Cabbage Moth, L-album Wainscot, Light Emerald and Lozotaenia forsterana added since then. I'm enjoying garden moth trapping immensely and it has provided a much needed kick up the arse - get out there and do something!

Least Carpet
Short-cloaked Moth
Mottled Pug
Riband Wave
P.S. - Still no sign of any Bordered Straws but, there remain good numbers of Hummingbird Hawks visiting the Red Valerian in our front garden.

1/1600th sec - getting better?

No comments:

Post a Comment