Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Thursday 1 February 2024

Red Letter Thursday

Back down to the RMC, this morning, for the second session of the week. On Tuesday I endured a total blank and wasn't sure if my "sit and wait" approach was such a good idea after all?  Basically it was a return to normal and January ended with my "doubles" tally standing at fourteen for the season and six for the month. Not too much to moan about when viewed as numbers on a spreadsheet. If I'd achieved that level of success in the 1980's I'd have been writing articles for David Hall's Coarse Fishing magazine boasting about how brilliant I was! What a great leveller age is? I couldn't understand how I'd managed three "doubles" in three bites on the previous Friday, then nothing on my return to the same area of the canal, just four days later. I spent Wednesday with Bev, having a drive around East Kent. Coffee and cake at the Battle of Britain Memorial Site then across to The Ethelbert PH for "loaded chips" and a pint. (If ever you are in the Reculver area then this pub is a "must visit" destination) It was probably just what I needed, as Pike fishing wasn't on the agenda for the entire day. It was only when I was sat in my study, listening to the Liverpool vs Chelsea game, on Radio 5 Live, that my thoughts returned to the RMC Pike challenge. 

I had the kit in the van and was on my way just before 05.00 hrs, this morning, all three rods were fishing by 06.45 hrs. A fabulous display, pre sunrise, was to prove to be the start of a fantastic morning. I have no intention of divulging bait choice, rigs or anything else which might compromise my own results. What I will say is that I landed two Pike this morning. The first one came just before 08.00 hrs and was my first "twenty" of the season. A cracking Pike of 20 lbs 8 oz gave me a right scrap, actually taking out my middle rod during the epic battle, and I knew that I could pack up, there and then, and drive home very happy. 


09.20hrs and the same rod is away again, this time a very sedate type of bite with the line just trickling off the centrepin. Well, that was until I set the hooks. Absolute bedlam erupted as this fish tore off across the canal, causing a huge boil on the surface as it did so. I already knew it was a good fish as I played it. Only when I drew it over the net chord did I realise just how good it was. At 23 lbs 6 oz, it is my PB from the RMC.I was in total shock, never before have I landed two "twenties" in the same session. Happy daze!


I remained on site, packing up just around 11.30 hrs when I missed an absolute "sitter". No I don't know how I managed it either? Still, with two "twenties" in the bag, what's to worry about? There's always tomorrow. One thing is for sure, there will be a polarizing filter added to the camera kit in the very near future. Reflective glare is a self take angler's nightmare!

22 comments:

  1. I agree re. the Ethelbert pub, have had so many pints and a meal in their covered outside bit over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Derek,
      Really nice to hear from you, it's been quite a while! Yes, the Ethelbert is a lovely pub and highly recommended by yours truly. I have visited it over the years but now, because we hold our Pike Anglers Club of GB meetings there, Bev and I made the effort to have a lunch time visit on a fairly regular basis. The staff are really friendly and the food is exactly what you expect from a pub. Limited choices, but very tasty and loads of it.

      Delete
  2. Awesome brace of backend beauty's!... just rewards for all those hard yards brother!!.... GET IN!!

    BR

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Andy,
      I'm struggling to get this session into some type of context - I was a trembling mess when I landed the second fish.
      We'll have plenty of time for a catch up in The Ethelbert at the next PAC meeting - your ears will get a battering mate!
      Tight lines - Dyl

      Delete
  3. Brilliant! What a morning - nice one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian - it was certainly an adrenaline rush and a session which I will cherish.

      Delete
  4. Brilliant Dylan. Well deserved and great dangling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, a name would be helpful?

      Delete
    2. Sorry mate. Nick the eel angler.

      Delete
    3. No worries Nick - just nice to be able to say thanks to a person, opposed to an unknown "cyber entity"

      Delete
  5. Fantastic, Dyl! I can roughly imagine the buzz you must have felt. What a cracking brace. 😊👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gav. I lack the ability to produce a written account of the emotional roller coaster this session created. My brother, Sye, took a brace of "twenties" from the Hampshire Avon, way back in the mid-80's. I've been striving to replicate his result ever since. I think it was Fred J Taylor who said to Richard Walker, having landed a six pound Tench, "You're shaking" - The reply went along the lines " If I ever stop, then I'll give up fishing!"
      So, thank you for the comment, I hope that the signs are positive and that "Big Girl" is just a matter of perseverance ?

      Delete
  6. What a result Dyl, 👍 You're on a roll. Fantastic! Three good doubles on one day, two twenties on another. She's in there Dyl. As you say. Perseverance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ric,
      If nothing else I am a stubborn sod when embarked upon any angling challenge. If it doesn't come this season then I'll be back again next winter. Effort equals success, or in my case - "everything comes to he who waits!"
      All the best - Dyl

      Delete
  7. Fantastic result Dyl, two 20's in a session, pretty special. Well done !!! Mon the Pike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James, the session provided an adrenaline rush that will remain with me for a long time. Highly unlikely that I'll ever repeat such a feat, but it certainly won't stop me trying! Wild Pike of twenty pounds are rare enough, my quest for an individual in the "upper twenties", from the canal, is the needle in a haystack challenge which ensures my focus is retained.
      Cheers for the comment - tight lines & wet nets in your own "Barbel challenge" - Dylan

      Delete
  8. Blimey, that's a rare session anywhere. We'll done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks - it is a session which will stay with me for a long time

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. BB - an angling event which I doubt will ever be repeated in my lifetime? You're right - it was fantastic!

      Delete
  10. Hello Dylan- Only just catching up with this- Wow, what a session! Congratulations are in order- two 20s in one session- that's special, mate- I'm mainly getting out to just look and walk at the moment, but I've got half term now, so I'll be getting out this week and next to try for some- Catch up soon, Gazza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gazza,
      Great to hear from you mate. I lack the ability to put into written words quite how much of an adrenaline rush this session caused. A wild "twenty" from the canal is a rare beast, so to land two in a morning is the stuff of dreams. As for you getting out with the rods? There are some access issues with Black Dyke at present, so I've only dabbled with my efforts. RG, on the other hand, has produced four fish, thus far, three doubles to 17 lbs 2 oz so well worth a cast if your in the vicinity?
      Quite a bit going on in the background for me at present, starting with a funeral in Kingston upon Thames tomorrow then a hospital visit on Friday. With a bit of luck, we might just get that beer in by Easter? Take care & stay safe - Dyl

      Delete