Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Thursday 15 February 2024

Back to square one?

Two sessions on the RMC, this week, two blanks.  Yet littered with Eel action as these slimy pests homed in on any offerings I placed into the filthy mess which is currently the canal. Heavy rainfall has, once again, turned the canal into a debris laden, mud bath, hence why the only fish still active are those bloody Eels. Even baits positioned 24" off the canal bed aren't immune from the attentions of these nightmare fish and so it would seem that my Pike angling has gone full circle and I'm back to where I was at the end of November; when I actually started the campaign? I took delivery of a polarizing filter last Sunday and have been hoping to give it a trial with some trophy shots. What a joke. Happily, the camera has seen some action even if the rods remained fishless. 

Birds haven't been that cooperative, or numerous, yet every now and then I have managed to point the long lens in the direction of one or two. My year list actually reached one hundred species, this morning, when I added a "calling" Little Owl to my tally. Three Barn Owls were encountered as I made my way to the canal, yet it was a pair of "prospecting?" Long-tailed Tits which provided the bulk of the entertainment today.


Bev and I, plus the extended family, were in Morden, Surrey on Tuesday/Wednesday to attend the funeral of my "Uncle Pete", the last remaining member of our parents generation. My cousin Ruth, did him proud with a superb ceremony and wake. We've now got a hospital appointment to negotiate before things can return to some form of normality - fingers crossed!

13 comments:

  1. Hi Dylan- Sorry for your loss, mate. Incidentally, I use to live in Morden, just off the St Helier Avenue. I had a lovely girlfriend who lived at the other end of London but Morden was the first place I got work in the city, so I settled there for a couple of year before moving to Putney. I taught school refusers in the middle of the St Helier estate, just off the Middleton Road, 15 years ago. It was one of my first teaching jobs. I joined a local fishing club (with rights to the River Wandle in Morden Hall Park) and bought my tackle from Gerry's of Wimbledon. Caught a few fish but my real excitement was taking the train from nearby Wimbledon down to Bury Hill in Dorking...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gazza, it was a really good family send off for a guy who had lived life to the full. As for Morden? I can state that I'm extremely grateful that I live nowhere close. It is a lovely place, but the traffic conditions are chaotic, at best. It was very stressful driving around the Wimbledon, Morden, Banstead, etc area as I made my way to and from the crematorium. I'm afraid that it's all too much for me, everyone is in a hurry and good manners no longer play a role?

      Delete
  2. Well, you might not have caught any Pike Dyl, but those are zonking images of LTT's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you hadn't offered the advice to retire my old Sigma those LTT images wouldn't exist - so it's thanks to you mate!

      Delete
  3. What a difference a good lens makes on your new camera - we've been really enjoying the wildlife pics. Good job Dyl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi
      It's been a while since we last were in contact. The new (to me) camera/lens combo has taken my image quality to another level. I'm doing nothing special, just this modern technology is far more capable than the idiot holding it, hence the improved photos.
      Hoping you, and the family, are keeping well
      All the best - Dyl

      Delete
  4. Hi Dyl did you see that an English record Pike has been caught? A 47 pounder...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stewart,
      Yes I did mate. I was shown some stunning images of this magnificent Pike whilst in my local tackle shop on Wednesday morning. As for it being a "Record Pike" is dependant upon opinion. I still retain the view that Tommy Morgan's Pike of 47 lbs 11 oz, from Loch Lomond in July 1945, is the record, despite the manner in which he caught it.
      Still, it makes no difference what I think - that Pike is certainly a wonderful fish whatever it's national record status.
      Your garden birding looks to be progressing well. A simple concept, yet jolly good fun with so many unexpected twists and rewards.
      Take care and good birding - Dyl

      Delete
    2. Cheers Dyl, yes the garden list might be a bit samey but it will be interesting to see how many species I can see...

      Delete
  5. Hi, is there anyone here who could give me any advice on potato rustling please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, young Mr Pay.
      My advice would start with a decent session in a local hostelry, where at least six pints would be required to get in the right mind-set. What is then required is the acquisition of a garden fork and a carrier bag. Only after "last orders" should you dare encroach upon a potato field where these tasty morsels are quickly removed. From there, it would be a short walk to a kitchen where the contents of the carrier bag can be spilled on the floor, just to allow close inspection.
      Benno told me he'd sold you his old van and that you'd be in touch. Hoping all is well mate - take care - Dyl

      Delete
  6. You are a great lover of nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, nice comments are always appreciated

      Delete