Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Monday 19 February 2024

I'll take that

 With the weather forecasts predicting more rainfall, from Wednesday onwards, I took a short drive out onto the flatlands this morning for my only outing of the week. As it turned out, a very good decision. Just two rods used on a small drain which has produced a few Pike for me over the years and today was to see this continue with three fish visiting my unhooking mat during the four hours I was on the bank.

Dawn out on the flatlands provided a nice opportunity to get
a bit creative with the camera kit.
Please don't be fooled by this image, the conditions rapidly deteriorated as the morning progressed

I leapfrogged along 200m of the drain whilst I was there and was rewarded with fish of 9 lbs 10 oz, 8 lbs 8 oz and finally a "double" tipping the scales at 12 lbs 10 oz. Not too sure if I'll go back there or, if the canal remains unfishable, might revisit Black Dyke to see if I can catch that elusive "double" from the venue. No pressure on me to achieve any targets under the current circumstances, I will just have to go with the flow if and when I can get out on the bank.

That red mark, just above the pelvic fin, might be due to previous bad handling or,
more likely, spawning activity?

With squealing Water Rails and regular Cetti's Warbler song providing the backdrop, I was very pleased to add another species to my year list in the form of a nice flock of White-fronted Geese which did a quick fly past. I was finally able to use the newly purchased polarizing filter for my self takes, yet under the gloomy skies I am not sure how much difference it made? 

4 comments:

  1. As the saying goes Dyl, Red sky at night, Shepherds delight. Red sky at morning, Shepherds warning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ric, I did have a phase when Magpies played a part in my angling, however illogical that is. Now days, however, if I think conditions are suitable I go fishing, sod how many Magpies I see, what Moon phase we're in or the colour of the sky. The law of averages says that I will eventually catch a Pike in decent sunlight, thus be able to test the effects of that polarizing filter on my resultant images. All the best - Dyl

      Delete
    2. The saying Dyl has some truth based on rain laden clouds hailing from the west. The rising sun illuminates the approaching system while the evening sun illuminates the same clouds but now heading away from you.

      Delete
    3. Ric, such wisdom is completely wasted on me - I've never owned sheep, thus not required this "old wives'" insight into weather patterns?

      Delete