Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Sunday 18 February 2024

A return to the "flatlands"

 With this crazy weather continuing to provide rainfall which the, already saturated, countryside is unable to cope with. Bev and I took a drive along the Alkham Valley, this morning, en route to the garden centre for a coffee and bacon bap. The flooded roads told me all I needed to know about the state of the RMC; enough said. Yesterday, I'd taken a wander across the marsh to see what condition the drains were in. Although the water was carrying a bit of colour, the side drains seemed to have enough water clarity and little flow which suggests that I'll be able to present a bait , for Pike, with a reasonable chance of success?

A new dawn 

So that's my plan for the foreseeable future. I'd like to catch another two "doubles" (taking my season's total to twenty) before March 14th provides closure for this latest campaign. In simple terms, I have twenty-four days to catch two more fish! However, there has been a significant twist in events since Bev and I visited QEQM Hospital on Friday. The "C" word has entered our world and will be an issue we have to deal with over the next few months. The doctors, surgeon and nursing staff, are very upbeat about a successful outcome due, in part, to this very early diagnosis. 

Garden birding might just be the way forward?

All I can say is that we are truly grateful to the team at QEQM for their positive response to the issue and hope that we are able to remain as "normal" as is possible now cancer has entered the equation. If my bogging gets a little erratic - so be it. Absolutely no doubt, this will impact upon my angling but, hey-ho, I still have the moth trap, my camera kit and, as an aside, I'm also going to nick an idea from Stewart Sexton and keep a garden bird list for 2024. Just to make it clear, Bev has the problem, I have to be the "rock" who can deal with the emotional rollercoaster this situation will create. Not overly sure I'll be able to live up to expectations - only time will tell?

8 comments:

  1. Let me send Bev and yourself my best wishes and hopes for a successful outcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Ric - we both remain positive about a successful outcome, as do the medical team who are dealing with us.

      Delete
  2. Tough shit Dyl. but I'm sure that Bev and yourself will deal with it with the sunny outlook that you always have on life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We both remain very positive about a successful outcome and have set ourselves a target of a month in Greece once the treatment is over. As I said in my post, the diagnosis has caught it at a very early stage so, hopefully, this will aid the medical team's efforts?
      Thanks for taking time to comment, always welcome whatever the situation. Take care - Dyl

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear this Dyl, it must be worrying for you both. I hope any treatments needed all go well. Love Stewart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stewart,
      We are both going through a range of emotions, as it is something we've never had to deal with previously. However, given the positivity from the medical team in QEQM Hospital, we remain positive and just have to go with the events which will occur as the treatment is administered.
      The garden birding is just one way of occupying my mind during this traumatic period. The list currently stands at 32 species, I've got a long way to go to catch you up!
      All the best - Dyl

      Delete