Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Friday 5 January 2024

Ticking along slowly

 The current, erratic, nature of the weather ensures that any serious angling plans are a non-starter. No good moaning about it because it certainly isn't a situation unique to East Kent, everyone is in the same boat, or so it seems? With nothing better to do, I have set about filling in a few gaps in the 2024 year list and am happy to report that my tally now sits at a very acceptable seventy-two species. I've not been anywhere particularly distant, nor to a diverse range of habitats. No surprises, therefore, that there are some really glaring omissions at this point in time. Still; I feel confident that these will be rectified as the weeks pass. Stodmarsh NNR, the Canterbury ring woods and many other destinations will offer the potential to add to my score as nowhere is off limits. My list, my rules, it really is that simple. One thing I am hopeful about is the improved quality of the images I'm able to post on this blog. It certainly seems to be working OK thus far?



The Rock Pipits were along the coastal pathway near Winterstoke Steps,
whilst the Oystercatchers were on the shoreline below the Western Undercliff.

Twelfth Night tomorrow, so much of my time will be spent getting the Christmas stuff packed away and back into the loft. Hopefully I'll manage to grab a bit of time to have a wander with the binos and camera kit in the quest for another tick, or two? 


Little Egret over the "Garage Pool" at Pegwell NNR and the
Twite was just north of the old hoverpad.

3 comments:

  1. Floods everywhere Dyl. At least they are in our living rooms. Good to see the latest images. That Rockit looks as if it's got a ring missing. As for the Twite? That's the first picture of the species I've ever come across on the internet. How is that possible? On fishing? Tried the Colne yesterday for a Barbel. No joy, however, I did have a male Goosander emerge in front of me, mid river as I sat there. Several Kingfishers and Cetti's along with flocks of Redwings. Happy that at my age I can still hear them. It's only now I can appreciate how many of our avian friends' calls are tiny high pitched squeaks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ric,
      They are actually two different Rock Pipits (a pair?) which are holding territory along the busiest section of coastal path in Ramsgate. They are absolutely fearless, hence perfect subjects for the camera! That ringed individual was photographed about a mile away towards Broadstairs.
      The Twite, is one of two, that have been wintering on a small section of saltmarsh, near to the old hoverpad at Pegwell. So yes, I admit that it was twitched, but there was only one other guy there. I got my photos and left it in peace. My angling is very much on the back burner, as this crazy weather has wreaked havok with water levels and clarity right across the Kent countryside. If the weather forecasters are to bebelieved, and that is a very big "IF", then I should be able to get back down to the RMC by Wednesday, next week?
      Hoping all is well - Dyl

      Delete
    2. Yes Dyl. Crazy weather. Cold, dank and dreary. At this rate we might as well be living in Scotland. 😉

      Delete