Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Wednesday 10 January 2024

One day at a time

On the road just after 05.00 hrs, I had three rods fishing by 07.15 hrs almost a mile away from where I'd parked the van. It was around 10.00 hrs, and three leapfrogs into the session, that one of my alarms finally signalled a bite. Certainly not what could be considered a classic, I felt sure that an Eel was responsible for the stuttering rise of the monkey up the needle. It was only once I'd set the hooks that I knew it was a Pike. Three times I had it to the net, only for it to surge off back across the canal. Eventually I drew it over the chord and my prize was secured. A cracking fish, tipping the scales at 18 lbs exactly, not a bad way to start my 2024 RMC tally. I continued to fish for another couple of hours, but that was my only action. 


I can make as many excuses as I wish, yet the reality is that I've not been able to find the bulk of the fish in the section I'm targeting. Hopefully, the weather will settle into some form of stable pattern and my experiences from previous years will stand me good stead? Until then, however, it would appear that I'm chasing the odd fish in areas where gut feeling and watercraft suggest I position a bait.

6 comments:

  1. Your dedication and application to the project Dyl, puts us all; well me at least under the current conditions, to shame. An 18 was due reward for the effort. As for location? are there ways of concentrating one's quarry in a general area?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To say I was happy with this particular capture would be an understatement. The effort involved in me being there is just par for the course, given my thought processes on fishing for "big" Pike. However, what can't be calculated, to any serious degree, is the affect that weather patterns, water clarity, temperature and flow rate will have upon the distribution of these fish.
      Way back in the 1980's Neville Fickling first suggested using pre-baiting as a way of creating your own "hot-spot", even going so far as to say it would be possible to grow your own twenty?
      In the Canterbury/Thanet PAC region quite a few of the guys do use pre-baiting as part of their armoury. Not me, however, as any such activity on the RMC would be like opening a Mc Donalds for Eels. I have several edges which serve me well, under the right conditions, and am perfectly happy to stick with these tried and tested methods. Watercraft plays a huge role. If I note any significant Cormorant activity, then that's where I place my baits. Cormorants are in direct competition for the size of bait fish which Pike prefer, obviously I make regular reference to my use of dyes, flavours and buoyancy aids in order to make my offerings stand out from the norm plus, as a real bonus, I am aware of several areas of the venue where the large female fish gather prior to spawning.
      Even with all this knowledge and experience under my belt, the use of leapfrogging the rods along a stretch of bank, has certainly proven it's worth so far this particular winter. - Dyl

      Delete
  2. Yes the Eels Dyl. Could they be used? I'd bait up an area with fish mash to draw and concentrate the things and then fish big baits fifty yards away. After a day chasing live Eels, a big Pike might fancy something a little less lively. Then again, my method for catching Pike is limited to a very slowly retrieved sprat using a single hook, so what do I know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ric, I do have a few ruses which I am not willing to share on the blog, yet are not a million miles away from what you suggest. I will email you with the details - Dyl

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Cheers, it took a while, yet very much appreciated when it was placed on the unhooking mat - Dylan

      Delete