Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Sunday 21 January 2024

Pre - Isha stroll

The doom & gloom merchants, at the Met Office, speak of the potential disruption (aka chaos) associated with the next "celebrity" storm which is predicted to arrive on Thanet just after sunset today. With this as the background, I took a stroll along the coastal footpath between Dumpton Gap and Broadstairs Harbour, early morning, in the hope of obtaining a few more additions to the 2024 year list. If I'm honest, it was rather disappointing with just Purple Sandpiper, two, and Gannet, three, providing the new entries. 

My search for a convincing "Scandinavian" Rock Pipit looks set to run for a good while yet. Only two "Rockits" encountered today, both very much typical of our local breeding population. A couple of Red-throated Divers moved south, well offshore, into the strengthening wind, whilst a few Brents, Oystercatchers and Curlews moved in the opposite direction, headed for feeding spots around the coast, as the tide started dropping. On my way home I took a short detour to Winterstoke where I spent a few minutes, in deteriorating light conditions, attempting to get some images of the local Fulmars. Safe in the knowledge that they will hang around for several months yet, I am confident that I'll grab a few images which do justice to these, tube-nosed, ocean wanderers at some point in the future. In the meanwhile this is the best I have managed!


No comments:

Post a Comment