Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Friday 19 January 2024

Enjoying the sunshine

Overnight temperatures were forecast to be around -5 C, and the widespread frost, first thing this morning, suggested that the Met Office hadn't been too far off the mark? Frosts on Thanet are fairly infrequent due, entirely, to the geographic location as we jut out into the mouth of the English Channel. With sunshine predicted from dawn to dusk, I decided to grab the camera and head off to the old hoverpad, at Cliffsend, to see what was about. Wrapped up warm in my regular angling apparel, I chose my Skee-Tex wellies over the more traditional walking boots, as this allowed me the option of actually walking along the shoreline, below the cliffs, if the tide was out. 

Thankfully, it was a very long way out and I went off in search of a Sanderling, or two, which I still require for the year list. As it happened, no sign of these smart little waders, so I had to make do with a Bar-tailed Godwit to push my tally to 88 species for the year. All the usual suspects out on the mud gave me plenty to look at but, it was a group of six Rock Pipits that provided the main distraction. Try as I might, none of them showed any sign of "Scandinavian" origins, thus the search will continue.


 As I made my way, very slowly, back towards the hoverpad, I stumbled upon the two Twite which have been present for a couple of months now. Out on the saltmarsh, they were completely oblivious to my presence and allowed very close approach without any signs of agitation. I watched them feeding for a while and worked out their route along the beach margin, allowing me to position myself, low down on the frozen mud and just await them to come to me. It worked like a charm and I enjoyed some stunning views (and photo opportunities) as the pair steadily worked their way towards me. I gave it around fifteen minutes before deciding enough, was enough, and leaving them to carry on foraging along the tide line.



A cracking ninety minutes, or so, spent doing nothing more than enjoying myself. Looks like fishing's very unlikely until next Wednesday, at the earliest? Between now and then, the weather is predicted to take a turn towards severe storms, although temperatures are certainly set to rise significantly. A bit of seawatching might just be on the cards if the rods remain redundant.

This final image is almost as it appeared on the back of the camera. All I needed to
do was straighten it very slightly. The bird was within 3 or 4 metres of my position.

6 comments:

  1. Love the Twite photos! Your new kit is certainly paying dividends, Dyl. A settled Twite down here would provoke quite a twitch I reckon.

    All the best with your piking exploits this winter. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gav, these two Twite are my first in Kent since the 2003/4 winter period, so they are pretty unusual here too. That they have stayed faithful to such a small area of Pegwell Bay has ensured that the local birding crew, and "toggers" have got their year ticks/photos and, as such, the birds are relatively undisturbed. I got these images after the coldest night of the year, thus far, and feel sure that this played a huge role in me being able to get so close? As for the new kit. If Ric hadn't moaned (most uncharacteristic) about the quality of my Honey Buzzard images, from Corfu, I'd prpobably still be using the old Sigma lens.
      The picture quality produced by an image stabilized lens is on another level to anything I've used previously, so I probably owe Ric a beer? Pike fishing continues to be in the hands of the weather gods, I just have to wait and see how things pan out.
      Cheers for the comment - Dyl

      Delete
  2. Dyl, I'd have to say that after a quick look at Google images, those Twite images of yours are superior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ric. As I've just said to Gavin, if you hadn't commented on the quality of those Honey Buzzard images, I would probably still be using the Sigma 170-500 mm. Strange how things turn out?
      I have to say that I'm certainly very happy with the quality/clarity of the images I am now able to use on the blog and will, hopefully, get the chance to see just how much better my photography will be when Bev and I next go on holiday in the Med.
      All the best - Dyl

      Delete
  3. Great shots there Dyl. You will find littoralis easier in late Feb as they come into breeding plumage. Up here most of our winter Rock Pipits are Scandinavian birds, and most can be told from our breeders even in mid winter. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stewart, I think it was a case of right place/right time with the Twite. As for the Scandinavian Rockits? In years gone by I've confidently id'd such birds because they are so different to the local breeders. Yet it seems that I might have been way off the mark given the plumages of Rock Pipits that breed in the Dorset/Devon area. Gavin Haig spent quite some time going through his local birds, last year, and really opened my eyes to how much diversity there is within these overlooked birds. I'll keep looking, and clicking away, hopefully I will stumble across a bird which isn't up for debate?
      All the best - Dyl

      Delete