Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Sunday 31 December 2023

2023 - looking back and moving on

As seems to be tradition, within the blogging community I frequent, my final post of the year is in the form of a review of the past twelve months. From an angling perspective it could easily be summarized by Pike, loads of Carp and then more Pike. However this wouldn't do justice to the fantastic year I've just experienced.  

ANGLING

Although I didn't actually begin the RMC project until 27th January, the year saw me start with some Carp fishing down on the club venue where I managed to get off to a great start with a couple of "doubles" very quickly. It was this simple beginning which was to provide me with the target of catching a "double" figure Carp in every month of the year. By the time March 14th arrived, my Pike fishing had been superb with four "twenties" and eight "doubles" visiting the unhooking mat during this period.

March - 21 lbs 2 oz of RMC Pike

Carp fishing then dominated proceedings right through to November, when I actually threw in the towel for my project and returned to Pike fishing. What had occurred during the interim period was, however, something which I couldn't have dared hope for. My year's final Carp tally reads like a dream, from my stance. Forty-two "doubles" and six "twenties" means that it is the most successful campaign I've ever embarked upon. I have to give a massive heads up to Kevin, at Sandwich Coarse Fishery, for allowing me access to Victory Lake on so many "sundowner" sessions. It was this venue which took my fishing to another level between July and October.




By early November, I was back out on the flatlands, and very fortunate to capture a stunning Pike on my very first visit. Another really nice fish was to follow a few days later before I embarked upon the RMC. By Christmas my results had included another six "doubles" from ten Pike landed with the best one being an absolute pristine fish of 18 lbs 2 oz. 

How could I say anything negative about what has been my most productive year, statistically, that I've ever experienced. The combined figures reveal fifty-eight "doubles" and ten "twenties". Not too sure I'll ever beat it? 

Birds

I really don't have too much to write about away from the two holidays we spent in Greece. Obviously there will have been one or two sightings, locally, which are worthy of mention yet I can't deny the fact that, now days, birds only take centre stage when I'm on holiday. 



The May holiday in Pefkohori, NE Greece, was to provide me with a "lifer" in the shape of an adult male Collared Flycatcher. Other highlights included Little Bittern, European Roller, Squacco Heron and Levant Sparrowhawk. Our second break was on the wonderful island of Corfu and provided me with some wonderful opportunities to watch Honey Buzzard migration. 


Moths

Undoubtedly, my dalliance with running a garden moth trap has provided some real bonus wildlife encounters during the warmer months. Never a serious attempt to do anything more than see what might be attracted to the garden whilst asleep, the results have been amazing. With so many species turning up, including miriad micro moths which were way beyond my comfort zone, two moths stand head and shoulders above all others? 

Light Crimson Underwing

Clifton Nonpareil

One of the real side shows was provided by the influx of Convolvulus Hawk-moths during the early Autumn. My newly found interest in maintaining the garden plants, beyond that of simply keeping the grass cut, ensured that my planters were in good shape to attract these superb insects. I have to admit that I enjoyed playing around with the camera kit as I attempted to capture images of moths in a natural situation as opposed to resting on an egg box!


Not by a long stretch is this a complete review of the events that made up my journey through 2023, but I do hope it provides an insight? As yet, I have not made any firm plans for what I'd like to achieve in the New Year. Fishing, birds, moths and umpteen other options are awaiting the start of 2024. Where will it lead?  I have absolutely no idea, but will continue to offer my slant on life via the platform provided by "blogging".

All that remains is to wish all the visitors to my blog ""A Happy New Year". I am truly grateful for your continued support and hope that 2024 provides everything you wish for. Take care, stay safe and keep enjoying life's journey. - Dylan

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. Now retired, I feel that my results are a direct result of being able to pick the most suitable conditions as opposed to having to cast a baited rig when holiday entitlement/weekends allowed? Wishing you a very Happy 2024 - Dylan

      Delete