Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Wednesday 20 December 2023

More camera antics

Bev and I had quite a "to do" list for today, yet I still managed to get out for a couple of hours early this morning. My destination, of choice, being Broadstairs harbour where I hoped to bump into a Purple Sandpiper or two. This decision wasn't quite as random as it might first appear due, in part, to my old mate Ric F suggesting that I do a post comparing the old Sigma lens with my new toy (a Canon EF 100 - 400 mm IS USM Mk I).I might attempt something along those lines, at some point, yet I'd been sorting through some old holiday files, on the external hard drive, and came across a rather pleasing image of an imm Purple Heron, which I'd taken in May 2023 at the Pefkohori Marina, NE Greece. Obviously I ain't going to find a Purple Heron, locally in December, but Purple Sandpipers might just be possible, hence the drive to Broadstairs?

Taken with the Sigma 170 - 500 mm lens on the EOS 70d
Not brilliant, yet certainly good enough for blogging?

I parked up, along the seafront road, just west of the Louisa Bay Hotel, and took a slow stroll along the clifftop path before dropping down beside the Tartar Frigate PH and onto the beach. The sun was quite bright, and still relatively low, which caused me a few issues with light, shadows and contrast as I attempted to scan the rocky shoreline for my quarry. It didn't take too long, to be honest, and I eventually picked out five individuals feeding along this section of the coastal reef.

The first bird of the session

My footwear wasn't particular suited to the task, a pair of leather soled brogues, why? However, with some effort I managed to navigate the slippery rocks and position myself close to a lone bird, busily feeding close to the water's edge. By crouching down, heavily aided by a large camo "fishing jacket", I simply waited for the next bird to come to me. It worked like a dream and I secured a nice sequence of images of these delightful waders.




The image quality provided by the new lens has taken my photography 
to a completely new level.

Once satisfied that I'd achieved what I had set out to do, I walked back into Broadstairs, where I took a detour into Pierremont Park, where I failed to discover any Waxwings. I did, however, manage to grab a rather pleasing image of a Grey Squirrel which, if the truth were told, was a real poser!

I called in at our local, independant, garage, where I enquired about a replacement clutch for the van - ouch! Still, that's something to worry about in the new year. I drove back home, passing Park Avenue, where a mob of "toggers" were assembled. Birdguides continues to report Waxwings being present, yet I am far happier doing my own thing - each to their own, I guess?

2 comments:

  1. Dyl, this was the level of the comparison I had in mind. Old lens v new lens. On pictures in general. Glad I have them at all. When I scanned my film collection, there were quite a few which today would have been deleted. It struck me that the pictures I had of nothing but the 'everyday' goings on, meant more than trophy/staged shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ric, the huge advantage that digital image capture has, over the use of film, is that ability to instantly view the results. Not having to wait until the entire roll had been exposed and then sent away to be developed before having any idea as to the quality of the photos. I have many thousands of slides, gathering dust up in the loft, which would certainly have been deleted had they been taken in 2023.
      Obviously, those trophy shots are special, as they are part of my angling adventure yet, just like you, some of my most treasured images are of mates and scenery which instantly recall so many special memories of some incredible times.
      Wishing you, Bronwyn, and the gang a very Happy Christmas and Peaceful New Year - Dyl (& Bev)

      Delete