Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Friday 15 December 2023

Game changing

 This morning I left the rods propped up against my bookcase and, instead, took the camera (complete with new lens) for a wander along the coastal fringe from King George VI Park to the chine, via Ramsgate Harbour, and back again. The morning was fairly nondescript, weatherwise, yet that wasn't going to stop me playing with my new toy. I knew that the harbour would be a good bet as those birds which inhabit the area are used to human activity, thus relatively approachable.


Quite a good selection of species were seen, although not all photographed. One Great Northern Diver N, 4 Little Egrets spread along the shoreline, a skein of Dark-bellied Brents N, a female Eider in the Ferry pool, several Rock Pipits plus the usual mix of gulls, waders, Fulmars and Cormorants. Nothing to get excited about, but still a very enjoyable outing with a great camera experience to boot! I have absolutely nothing negative to say about this camera/lens combo. What I achieved today is way beyond anything I could have hoped for. Game changing indeed.


2 comments:

  1. I have to admit Dyl. I view the comment I made concerning your old loyal Sigma lens (Oct 11th) as a bit heavy handed. That said, it was based on the disappointing results I got with the Sigma lens I bought for my old Canon AE-1. After the mess I got back from the chemist for the first Red Kites I photo'd (out of focus on film-not in the view-finder) it deserved the Dick Walker - closed-faced-reel - treatment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ric, that Sigma lens served me superbly over the period I've used it. Obviously, with the advance of technology, it has become very outdated by comparison. Knowing that photography is just a spin off from the angling/birding/blogging; a replacement has never been a priority. Fortunately, I was able to purchase this new toy for a very reasonable price and can only hope that it provides the same level of reliability as it's predecessor? Cheers for the comment - Dyl

      Delete