Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Sunday 17 December 2023

Rock Pipits in the sunshine

 Yesterday afternoon, around 14.00 hrs, whilst acting as a taxi service for my grand-daughter, I watched a group of eighteen Waxwings flying north along the Ramsgate Road, skimming low over the Dumpton Park Nissan garage. I have absolutely no idea if they dropped down onto the various local berry sources, yet knowing there were birds on the move I decided to take a wander around the local area, on foot, this morning. I left home around 08.00 hrs and was at the Park Avenue site, where I photographed them yesterday, within twelve minutes. No sign, so I continued on my way, via the network of Public Footpaths and roadways, down to Dumpton Gap. 

I walked the coastal path, opposed to the beach, all the way to Viking Bay before heading back past Broadstairs College and onwards towards home, again via Park Avenue. I didn't see anything particularly noteworthy, yet had a fabulous time playing with the new lens as I pointed it in the direction of (three) Rock Pipits I encountered along the way. Two Pied Wagtails and four Linnets about sums up the passerines, whilst a scan of a flock of loafing gulls failed to produce anything other than Herring and Great Black-backed!


As I made my way back along Park Avenue, there were a few "toggers" gathered, chatting noisily, yet no sign of any Waxwings. I didn't even bother crossing the road and was back home within fifteen minutes, the second coffee of the morning in hand.

2 comments:

  1. Good pics Dyl. One can almost read the rings on the leg (s)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the same bird in the last two images. I have done my best to get the ring details from the series of photos I obtained, but have failed to get the entire sequence thus unable to use the sighting to assist "people science". The picture quality, obtained by the new camera/lens combo, is light years ahead of what I'm used to, so a big thanks for that comment way back in October! - Dyl

      Delete