Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Monday 18 December 2023

Last cast before Christmas

I'm writing this intro at 20.30 hrs, on Sunday evening, knowing that my RMC session tomorrow will be the last before the Christmas break. Fear ye not, Boxing Day morning is already pencilled in as a "gimme". A tradition which goes back way beyond when Bev & I first met. The Monday outing, however, will be rather special, in itself, as I've got all day to play with. Quite how many leapfrogs the kit will experience is obviously in the lap of the gods, but I have every intention of giving it the very best shot I can. The van's already loaded, dead baits defrosting and the camera batteries fully charged - let's go Pike fishing!

Yet another Pike falling to the Dyson Rig.
14 lbs 10 oz and taken whilst in mid conversation with a very nice
lady, dog walker, who actually does a bit of fishing herself.

Well, I'm now back home having spent in excess of nine hours actually fishing. During the course of the day I probably covered two thirds of a mile of bank with my leapfrogging approach. Just three Pike succumbed to these mobile tactics, but two more "doubles" is certainly not to be moaned about!  The canal is still carrying a bit of colour, but is certainly in better nick than when I last visited. I had been hoping to play around with the new lens, but the weather put pay to such folly. Although rather mild, it was a dreary, dull, day with a very brisk wind for the most part. Still, there were a few birds to point the binoculars at and the conversations with random passers-by ensured it was another very enjoyable session down besides the RMC.

A well healed scar shows just how lucky this Pike is. That was one big set of jaws
that it escaped from. 15 lbs 10 oz
I think Father Christmas needs to get me a new hat?

No comments:

Post a Comment