Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Saturday 30 December 2023

Surreal, incredible - the power of the internet

 This afternoon whilst preparing a post (which has now been put on hold) and listening to the football commentaries, on Radio 5 Live, my comments facility received an entry. Before anything makes it onto the blog I have the option to accept or reject the offering, thus cutting out the advertising and conspiracy theory dross which is so prevalent around social media. What was so crazy is that this particular comment was offered about a post I made way back in April 2015. Once I'd read it, I was absolutely overwhelmed; truly humbled by the content. Sadly, despite the incredible impact this had upon me, I've not been able to publish it due to the fact that it contained the email address of the sender. 

This is what started the ball rolling

So what is all the fuss about? Well, the sender was a guy called Simon Walker. "So what?" I feel is the reaction, thus far. If I then tell you that his father was a certain Richard "Dick" Walker, then I hope that the penny drops and you also realise the magnitude of this event. Simon is in the early stages of preparing an exhibition to celebrate his father's life and contribution to angling. He asked if he could use some images of a Heron bite alarm that I'd posted? We've had several email exchanges since and my reply went along the lines of "are you kidding? You can use the actual alarm, which is complete with box, in any way that assists paying tribute to this angling legend"

Photo copyright - Simon Walker

This event is still very early in the planning stages, hence I am unable to provide any further details.  

3 comments:

  1. Dyl, if there's one aspect of my behaviour that was influenced by Dick Walker, it'd have to be generosity. Anything that I have which can help others catch fish (deserving cases mind) then I'm all for it. Dick was known for giving items of tackle away. Me? Ditto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ric, I was very close to sending you an email yesterday. It was the most surreal experience and one which I couldn't have made up, in my wildest dreams. I spoke to Sye and my son, Benno, about the situation and both of them said that anything requested to promote the influence Dick Walker had on our angling adventures must be made available, without question. Without the vision of Dick Walker, you, me and a whole generation of anglers wouldn't have become involved with the "big fish" scene. We owe him an incredible debt of gratitude.
      Wishing you, Bronwyn and family a Happy New Year - all the best - Dyl

      Delete
    2. Absolutely Dyl. If he was around to today, he'd be pleased that the modern big fish hunter puts thought and calculation on a plane where luck simply becomes which of the big fish picks up the bait first.
      I never met him myself, but Gavin H. did. Even got his autograph I understand. 👍
      Finally wishing you and your own family a Happy New Year as well. - Ric

      Delete