Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Thursday 6 October 2022

Walking in sunshine

The forecast was spot on, for a change, and I arose early to switch off the moth trap before heading off to take a wander around the Grove Ferry/Stodmarsh NNR. It was a superb autumn morning. Clear blue skies, beaming sunshine and a moderate breeze; the reserve looked stunning as I parked up. Absolutely no agenda beyond that of enjoying the walk. Camera over the shoulder, binoculars round my neck, I sallied forth. 

Green Sandpiper from the Marsh Hide - very early!

As the morning wore on, it was quite an eye opening experience, from my perspective, as I've not previously encountered folk who frequent such, wildlife rich, environments without optical aids. Camo covered long lenses and expensive cameras carried by folk without the first idea of id or fieldcraft, gathered, noisily, in the hides closest to the car parks. As with my opinions of modern carp anglers, it has to be, very much, for the individual to decide how they derive pleasure from their free time. The reserve covers a large area and I didn't have to make too much effort to get away from the masses assembled within the wooden boxes, their cameras poked out from every open shutter.  

A major error, on my part, as I failed to check the camera settings thus the majority of my efforts, this morning, were pitiful. Another lesson learned? I'd like to think it won't happen again. Two more additions for the "self-found" year list with Cattle Egret and Bearded Tit, so a very enjoyable time spent walking around this fabulous Kentish, jewel of a, reserve.



I did bump into a couple of "birders" which ensured I could exchange a few words about what we'd seen. The consensus being that it was still rather quiet but certainly worth the effort just because of the conditions. I ended my visit with Green Sandpiper 2, Raven 2, Stonechat 3, Bearded Tit 2, Chiffchaff 17, Blackcap 4, House Martin 1 plus the usual mix of wildfowl, Marsh Harriers, Common Buzzards and Grey Herons. If the angling prospects continue to be so poor then I'll happily continue to explore the local area for avian encounters which might also allow me to develop the camera skills needed to capture better quality images of these sightings. 



No comments:

Post a Comment