Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Saturday 29 October 2022

Mothing gold

The garden moth trap remains central to my daily routine whilst the current overnight, double figure Centigrade, temperatures persist. Being a direct consequence of southerly airflow, there can be little surprise that migrant moths are being reported in, both, spectacular numbers and UK distribution. My own results have been very much in keeping with those of other Kent sites, according to the various sources available on the internet. 

The Vestal was a real "rare" when I started moth trapping
 in the late 1990's. Today I expect, and get, garden records on
a regular basis

Moths that were once considered to be rare are now very commonplace and surely another demonstration of the undeniable effects of climate change? Olive-tree Pearl, The Vestal and Small Mottled Willow are now so regular as to be included in the "gimme" annual expectations and might even be colonists along with so many other species. On the periphery are those species which still cause an adrenaline rush. For me the capture of my third, 2022, Merveille du Jour has been insane, having only taken two in the previous twenty-two years yet was knocked into a "cocked hat" by the occurrence of a Blair's Mocha this morning!

Blair's Mocha

I really don't have any idea where this latest dalliance into the "after dark art" will lead me. Having no restraints on my time, the checking of the egg trays can take as long as is necessary, although the Pike season is now upon us and I have an appointment with a River Stour "twenty" to keep! Still, whilst temperatures remain conducive for mothing they are, by definition, not what I want as a Pike angler. 

A Red-green Carpet in much better condition than my last one!

I'm very happy to carry on checking the egg trays as I await the first frosts and a change in the seasons. 



No comments:

Post a Comment