Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Sunday 23 October 2022

Garden mothing and some birds

As I await the start of my R. Stour Pike campaign, our garden remains central to my wildlife encounters. The moth trap is a constant source of interest as the egg trays are examined each morning. I really don't know what I'll discover? Although, by keeping abreast of what's being reported along the Kent coastline between Sandwich Bay, via Folkestone, down to Dungeness plus around the local patches and gardens of fellow bloggers, I do have an inkling of what might be possible. 

A beautifully pink tinted Vestal.

Because I've not been a particularly active "moffa" over the passed few years, 2022 has proven to be an incredibly enjoyable return to the "after dark art". There will certainly be an effect, on my results, due to the ridiculous weather patterns we experienced over the course of the summer. However, I also feel that my involvement in actively maintaining our garden flora will have made a positive impact upon the moths attracted to the 125w MV Robinson trap. It can't be too long before I pack the trap away for the winter but, while the night-time temperatures remain well above 10C, it won't be just yet. 

Small Mottled Willow

Rush Veneer

Large Wainscot

I think that I've recorded most of the species expected in my garden, plus plenty more that weren't, since starting to run the trap on a nightly basis way back in early April. The real learning has been provided by a desire to take a closer look at micro moth species. I'll happily admit that this group had been completely ignored for many years and I now realise what a massive error this was. Still, with the nights drawing in and, hopefully, Pike fishing taking centre stage, I should have plenty of opportunity to spend time with the many hundreds of images recorded over the summer which require scrutiny in order to establish an id for the various species which have been photographed.

Quite a bit of vis mig, to keep me entertained, has included decent movements of Redwings and Starlings with lesser numbers of Skylark, Meadow Pipit, Chaffinch and Fieldfare. Odd Blackbird and Song Thrush have added to the aerial display whilst three Long-tailed Tits, a Great Spotted Woodpecker and seven Goldcrests have passed along the garden boundary hedgerow. Chiffchaffs continue to be recorded on a daily basis, the maximum, recently, count being nine on Wednesday.


Pike fishing tomorrow, so watch this space - hopefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment