Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Friday 21 October 2022

Fig-leaf (Tree) Skeletonizer

So there I was perusing the various websites which constitute my daily routine when I espied a snippet that struck a chord. Ian Roberts had posted, on Folkestone Birds, that he had discovered evidence of Fig-leaf Skeletonizer (Choreutis nemorana) being present at Mill Point. I'd never heard of such an insect therefore did a little Google research. Well what d'you know? I've been attracting these moths to my MV trap since June! Not surprising that I'd been unable to id them as they hadn't been recorded in the UK prior to 2014 and, as a consequence, were not depicted within the pages of my Micro Moths of GB & Ireland field guide.

Mike and Leslie, our nextdoor neighbours, have a Fig Tree growing in their garden, right up against our southern fence line. Having seen the photo that Ian posted I took a look at the foliage of this tree. Guess what? The leaves were covered with signs of Fig-leaf Skeletonizer caterpillar activity. The fig harvest doesn't appear to be effected, although Mike & Leslie certainly don't rely on the fruits to provide sustenance during these economically troubled times.

I've photographed this species on many occasions over this past summer and am indebted to Stewart Sexton for his generous contribution to my woeful id efforts. A comment he sent was to assist me with the id of several species which I'd completely screwed up but, and it is a big but, his suggestion that Apple-leaf Skeletonizer was one of the mystery moths (although he added that he'd never seen one!) just aided the crazy situation. That particular moth, I couldn't id, certainly didn't match the artwork of Richard Lewington in my field guide, yet I had nothing else to assist me so happily went along with Stewart's far superior experience. 

Four and a bit months down the line I am now confident that these moths have been attracted to the garden MV trap on many nights. I don't keep a diary, because, to me, it doesn't matter, but I would guess that these moths have been taken on fifty nights during the past, incredibly warm, summer. Why don't I report my catches? Because until Victorian methodology is removed from entomology I refuse to support it. My records are just that - mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment