Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Monday 24 October 2022

The start of a new adventure

I parked the van in the car park just before 06.30 hrs, this morning. It was to be my first Pike session, of 2022/23, on The (Kentish) Stour. I'd been informed that Pike fishing wasn't to commence until 1st November but Benno had a chat with a bailiff, whilst Perch fishing on Saturday morning, and was reassured that Pike fishing along the river was perfectly okay.  That was all I needed to know and it's now game on!

Almost certainly a photo taken using
Ektachrome slide film. My Thames "twenty"

So what's the plan? It's surprisingly a very simple one; I want to catch a twenty from the river. I've only ever caught one river twenty, from the Thames (20 lbs 1 oz) on 8th January 1987, so am hopeful that should I achieve my goal I will also beat my river PB. With this being my focus, I am happy to see where, and how, the campaign leads me. As of today, it would seem that I'm going to allow myself until the end of January 2023 to land my target before spending February 2023 back down on the RMC, where I've a score to settle, which is a tale for another day, perhaps? All that I need to concentrate on, over the next fourteen, plus, weeks is location, rig mechanics and bait presentation along the banks of The Stour. Thankfully, it will not be a complete voyage into the unknown as Benno & Luke have done an awful lot of the spadework and I'm happy to follow their advice whilst learning the ropes. As a further back-up I also have access to a wealth of experience via the Canterbury & Thanet PAC Regional meetings. I certainly don't expect it to be easy, but know it will definitely be fun. 

I landed two Pike this morning, the biggest one weighing a smidge over 7 lbs. A beautiful morning, a couple of Pike and the whole place to myself. What else could I wish for? I won't get back down until Thursday, due to prior arrangements, but after that it will be full steam ahead. 


No comments:

Post a Comment