Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Wednesday 12 October 2022

Grove Ferry dawn

I needed a change of scenery so, at first light this morning, parked up at Grove Ferry NNR so I could have a wander around early doors. The sun glowed bright orange in the East as it rose steadily above the horizon. 

It wasn't 07.30 hrs when I watched two Great White Egrets pass overhead, flying deliberately westward towards Stodmarsh. I rattled off a series of shots but, in all honesty, the light levels were poor and so were my images. I'd set myself a time limit, saying to Bev that I wouldn't be any later than 10.00 hrs getting home. Knowing that I might, easily, get distracted should I attempt the complete circuit my plan was to walk to The Marsh Hide and back. Two hours should give me plenty of flexibility? 

I was sat in the hide, overlooking the grazing marsh and pools, within forty minutes of parking the van. A couple of Little Grebes were about as good as it got! Had I really gotten up so early for this? A male Marsh Harrier drifted by and then a Green Sandpiper noisily announced its' arrival on the poolside margin. As I scanned the surrounding marsh it appeared the avian inhabitants were slowly awakening. A male Sparrowhawk perched up on a fence post whilst a couple of Stonechats were flicking about alongside a reeded ditch. A Kestrel flew by, carrying a vole, just as I spotted a group of birds arriving high from the north. Ten Cattle Egrets descended onto the marsh, about 800m from where I was positioned. It was all very weird, as the cattle they'd chosen suddenly became very agitated and spooked. The birds did like-wise. Four flew towards the Marsh Hide and landed beside the cattle that were grazing there whilst the other six headed off, high, to the East.

I spent the best part of thirty minutes in the hide before deciding to look for the missing Cattle Egrets. I failed dismally! Plenty of other birds to look at as I scanned the various livestock grazing around the reserve. Lots of Song Thrushes present along the hawthorn hedgerows with a couple of smart Bearded Tits beside Harrison's Drove. Stonechats were everywhere I looked, which was encouraging, and I also managed to locate three Little Egrets, thus completing the set! Just as I was setting off back to the van a Black-tailed Godwit flew west and a Kingfisher called loudly as it sped along an adjacent ditch. A cracking morning's birding and I was back at our bungalow with ten minutes to spare - result!



9 comments:

  1. I've been getting a number of the same three Egret species on The Swale NNR each day. Something out of our wildest dreams 15-20 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In 1993 I ran (!!!) to twitch a Little Egret in Pegwell Bay - insane. Great White Egret involved me travelling to Stanford Res. Northamptonshire in the late 80's, whilst the Cattle Egret situation had seen me "twitch" a flock of eight which turned up along the Colne Valley just outside of Rickmansworth, Herts - again late 80's? That today I expect to see all three species whilst sat behind my fishing kit speaks volumes about how times have changed. Hoping all is well at your end? - Dyl

      Delete
    2. And to cap it all, here on Sheppey, we have Cattle and Little Egrets breeding alongside each other.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Sadly not BB - the old age pension doesn't allow such folly!

      Delete
    2. Don't wish your life away, it'll be your turn soon enough!

      Delete
  3. A very productive day. That last picture's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed myself. Thanks for taking time to comment - Dylan

      Delete