Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Monday 6 April 2015

Out of the gloom

The day started quite brightly, with extended periods of sunshine during the breaks in the clouds. I took a quick stroll around the farm, that first Wheatear must surely arrive soon? Nothing much to report; four Rooks amidst the Carrion Crows, foraging next to Pyson's Road, single Blackcap (male) and Chiffchaff plus a surprising number of decked Meadow Pipits - possibly 30 birds? A smart adult female Sparrowhawk flushed the Wood Pigeons from the cauliflowers and a lone Skylark passed west, overhead - back home for a spot of breakfast before the call of Wicke's and B&Q - we're looking at new flooring and doors!
I'd really fancied it for a Buzzard today, but the clouds gathered and grey skies persisted, conditions were less than optimal. It was, therefore, quite a surprise when, arriving home from our DIY recce, the gulls were mobbing a bird, high up, right above the bungalow. I immediately called buzzard before rushing inside to grab my camera. Back outside, within seconds, I was delighted to discover that the bird was, in fact, a Short-eared Owl. This was a triple whammy! A year, garden and patch tick - quality! My images are not Mark Chidwick quality, but serve the purpose for which they are meant.

A very welcome addition to the patch and garden list. I am aware of one other patch record,
of this species, which was seen/flushed by a dog walker from stubble in
Autumn of 2003.

No comments:

Post a Comment