Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Thursday 17 January 2013

No guilt in innocence

Ever since I can remember, I have been attracted to, and amazed by, the wonders of the natural world. I have so many influences, and heroes,who have gotten me to my present position - I am able to enjoy the many aspects of being a "human being" that seem to be lost on others. I remain as guilty as any other - I judge people using my own values - big mistake! In a free world the various opinions are what makes for the democracy in which we are able to exist. What I am trying to express is that there are so many facets to a situation as to make it impossible to be right or wrong (you see it as an individual and make your opinions accordingly).


In February 2011 I made a post on my "Non-conformist" blog which caused so much disquiet as to cause me much soul searching. That I had the gall to question the "Pan-Listing league table" is an opinion that I am entitled to - at no time did I attempt to stop people getting involved. My point of view being  simply that, whilst I fully understand an individual pushing their knowledge to the absolute limits, I couldn't see any benefit of a league table of who's best and who's not! Plenty of others see another side to this particular way of enjoying our natural history - fill your boots! (just don't ask me to join in) They, and I, are neither right or wrong - we're just different.

I would no more expect everyone to appreciate Jimi Hendrix and Steve Vai than I would Take That and East 17 - it is for the individual to make that call. So how is it that I am able to find pleasure in simply looking at things? It could be a steam train, a world war 2 fighter or an insect - I would find something of interest in the simple pleasure of observing. I care no more for history than I do for natural history - yet both subjects are within my comfort zone. I know enough to ensure I'm able to have an opinion, without sounding like an expert. I do not not need to know the valve settings on a Rolls Royce Merlin engine to appreciate the sight and sound of a Supermarine Spitfire - nor do I need to identify every insect that I discover on a holiday to Turkey, just to say I enjoyed my time in the Eastern Meditteranean.

No comments:

Post a Comment