Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Wednesday 9 August 2023

They're back

 It was a couple of weeks back when I dropped my pair of Duncan Kay Carp rods off, at Camo's, in order for Mark Plank to pick them up and give them an overhaul and new cork handles. Today I made the same journey in order to see the fruits of this exercise. Wow! What a magnificent job Mark has done. 

The original advert in the 1984 "Carp Catcher Book"
My choice being the very top of the list. 1lb 10oz t/c - why?

I'll start at the beginning, cos it's always the best place. Ian Crawley, then proprietor, of Leslie's of Luton (St. Alban's branch) built me a pair of these rods way back in summer 1983. I think it would be true to say that they've remained the mainstay of my rod choice ever since? I used them for Tench at Wilstone, Catfish at Claydon/Tiddenfoot, Zander in Fenland and Carp at Stanborough. Nothing to say which could be negative about these iconic rods in any of the scenarios.

Pike fishing out on the flatlands - 2011/12

A Duncan Kay in action at Stanborough - Sept 1983

Complete with "Duplon" handles and Shimano "Carbomatic GT 4000" reels on the 
banks of Wilstone Res. circa 1985


However, in 2023, they were certainly looking a bit battle weary and Mark has the skill-set to give them a bit of TLC.  Cork handles were always going to be the priority but! When Ian "Creepy" Crawley had built them for me, way back in 1983, the Fuji reel fittings had been upside down? Mark was unable to get original Fuji versions, so had to use "The Tacklebox" alternatives as replacements. The only, obvious, difference being that these new reel fittings are made, entirely, of black plastic, none of the steel/aluminium of the originals.

Brand new cork handles but with "Tackle Box" 
reel fittings because the Fuji option is no longer available.

I'm really looking forward to getting back on the bank and putting these wonderful rods through their paces. I actually own three of these rods due, entirely, to my brother Simon, giving me one of his pair, which were built at the same time as mine, because he'd broken the other one. The only time I ever use three rods is when I'm Pike fishing, so it isn't too sad that that the three Duncan Kay's aren't identical.  Duncan remains an iconic personality who was pivotal in the development of modern Carp angling. That photo of "The High Twenty" summarises everything he stood for during my "big fish" apprenticeship period. 

One of the most iconic images of the era.
Characters like Duncan Kay don't come round that often - he is an absolute legend

I do wonder how many of todays Carp anglers actually know who Duncan Kay was? Even more, I wonder how many of these rods are still in existence?
.

6 comments:

  1. Hello mate! I loved this. I absolutely have tackle that 'goes with me'. I've still got my first freshwater fixed spool, bought in 1991- a Mitchell 1120 G. I started fishing the year before- beachcasting- but all that tackle has gone, I'm afraid. Everything was bought from Fisherman's Corner- the coarse and sea gear. Bruce used to do coarse equipment in those days, too. I still use the same tackle shop, after all these years. Last week, I bought an air pump and a livebait bucket, for shrimps- I pick up my push net tomorrow. I've been bass fishing like crazy, mate- I'll drop you an email shortly. I'll be back on the freshwater in October for the pike. Speak soon and take care- Gazza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gazza,
      Cheers for the comment, it's nice to know that there are other, like-minded, souls out there who appreciate the angling journey and the tackle which has supported it along the way. We need to have a catch up, before the new term get started. An email exchange, very shortly, might be a good starting point? Stay safe - Dyl

      Delete
  2. Hi Dyl. So sorry I haven't commented for ages, but your lovely tale about the Duncan Kay rods has done the trick! Unlike you and Ric, I've always been 'easy come, easy go' with fishing tackle, and I don't have any of my old gear. There are many things I wish I'd kept (ABU Cardinals, Match Aerial etc) but what's done is done...

    I've really enjoyed your moth posts too. East Kent must be a prime spot for visitors from the Continent, and it's good to see you getting a few. And of course, the micros! 😄

    Tight lines mate,
    Gav

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gav,
      Great to hear from you and know that the "Moth Trance" hasn't completely taken over your life! I suppose I've always been of the mind-set "don't fix what ain't broken" and, as a consequence, have kept most of the tackle which has served me so well over the decades. The Duncan Kays are just one manifestation of this reluctance to keep up with the latest gizmos, just because they're trendy.
      As for the mothing? Thanet is superbly positioned, geographically, to intercept continental migrants during periods of suitable weather. Rare/scarce birds and moths are annual here, purely because of this factor and absolutely nothing to do with habitat provision which constitutes absolutely zero effect beyond concrete and cabbages!

      All the best and good mothing - Dyl

      Delete
  3. Nice one Dylan , just getting my head round the last couple weeks, so I’ll be in touch soon , but had to comment on the flatlands photo ...iconic rod and iconic Kent landmark in the background glad the rods are still around.... I’m pretty sure that beyond John Wilson as my influence Duncan Kay did a carp fishing video with Ian heaps and I must of watched it a hundred times if not more ,just as excited as the first time ... think nowadays they would say that’s “banging” Dylan lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries mate. I do hope that things are getting sorted out and that your life can return to some form of normality quickly. I ain't going anywhere, so will be here when your ready for a chat? All the best - Dylan

      Delete